Don’t Miss Your Chance at an SMU Education
Prepare for an evolving world by graduating with multiple competencies and activating new skills at a nationally-acclaimed, private university located in the heart of Dallas, Texas.
- Completion of a full semester after high school graduation
- Completion of 24 transferable credit hours* (2.7 minimum GPA)
- Completion of college-level math course or high school math sequence such as algebra I and II and geometry within the past 3 years
- Additional requirements for transfer students interested in:
- Performing and visual arts
- Academic forgiveness
- *For students with fewer than 24 hours, the admission committee will consider the academic rigor of both the student's high school and college courses.
November 1 Spring entry
April 1 Extended to May 1 Scholarship deadline** for fall entry
August 1 Fall entry
June 1 Summer entry
**You must have a GPA in the range of 3.5 or above to be considered for scholarships. Apply by April1 for consideration for the North Texas Community College and the Phi Theta Kappa scholarships. For all other scholarships, applicants are considered on a rolling basis.
- Apply for admission via SMU’s Online Application, the Common Application, ApplyTexas or MyCoalition.
- Submit the $60 nonrefundable application fee.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (include dual/concurrent coursework completed in high school). All international transcripts will require a professional evaluation.
- Submit final high school transcripts.
- Submit official SAT or ACT scores (if you have fewer than 24 transferable hours to SMU). SMU won’t require standardized test scores for 2021 undergraduate applicants. We want to ease your mind about applying to SMU.
- Submit extracurricular resume and personal essay (optional, but encouraged for scholarship consideration).
- Submit letters of recommendation (optional).
Electronic Transcripts and supplemental materials can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Documents that need to be mailed can be sent to:
SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission
P.O. Box 750181
Dallas, TX 75275
Physical Address (for FedEx, UPS, and DHL shipments):
SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission
Laura Lee Blanton Building
6185 Airline Road
Dallas, TX 75205
Please be sure all materials clearly indicate your first, middle, and last name, and your date of birth. If you physically mail your documents, we recommend that you make and keep a copy of all application forms for your records.
We look forward to reviewing your application and getting to know you better. If you have questions, please contact the SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission, where any of our transfer admission counselors are ready to help.
Transfer Scholarships: We Invest in The Best and The Brightest smu.edu/transferscholarships
If you’re seeking your first undergraduate degree and have at least 50 transferable credit hours, you are automatically considered for most of SMU’s generous transfer scholarships when you apply to SMU. These scholarships are renewable for up to five terms as a full-time student with a 3.0 SMU cumulative GPA. Many of our scholarships can be combined.
North Texas Community College Scholarship
With a 3.7 minimum transferable GPA and 50 transferable credit hours, you are eligible for:
Honor Transfer Scholarship
- Highly competitive scholarship
- Full-tuition scholarship for fall entry
- Essay and two to three letters of recommendation required
- Open to transfer students from community colleges in Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Trinity Valley and Navarro counties
- Automatic consideration with application for half-tuition scholarship for fall, spring or summer entry
With a 3.5 minimum transferable GPA and 50 transferable credit hours, you are eligible for:
Transfer Merit Scholarship
- $3,000 scholarship per academic year for fall, spring or summer entry
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK)
- Supplemental scholarship for fall or spring entry for active PTK members
- PTK Honor Scholarship application and two letters of recommendation are required
Erin Tierney Kramp (ETK)
- Annually two recipients of the Dallas College Erin Tierney Kramp Encouragement Endowed Scholarship are chosen to continue their college education at SMU. This scholarship will cover the cost of tuition and fees for five semesters. Students must indicate that they are ETK recipients within their application. If more than two recipients apply, a faculty panel will interview the candidates.
We work hard to attract the best students, regardless of their financial backgrounds.
- 65% of our transfer students are awarded financial aid*
- $151 million+ in scholarships awarded last year
- 72% of undergraduates graduate without debt
- 1 of only 300 schools that are worth the investment, according to Forbes’ Best Value Colleges 2019
- 70% of new transfer students receive an average package of $36,634 in scholarships & grants
- *scholarships, grants, loans, work-study
Our Transfer Pathway Guides
, also known as degree plans, will provide you with the coursework you can take for each major. Our interactive Equivalency Course Tool
will help you build a report that will show you how your credits will transfer to SMU.
Hundreds of SMU undergraduates pursue two or more majors. We have you covered with more than 100 undergraduate majors and 85 minors across five nationally recognized undergraduate schools.
All prospective and admitted SMU students are matched with an assigned admission counselor.
- Experience the Hilltop either virtually or in person. The SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission provides visit experiences specifically for transfer students every Friday.
- Learn about transferring to SMU by attending one of our prospective transfer student events, Transfer Stampede.
Ask How We Can Help You Finish Strong