User Experience Design
Who Should Attend?
- Web and app designers and front-end developers, as well as software developers
- Graphic, visual, and product designers
- Interactive and digital marketing professionals
- User-research and usability analysts
- Information architects, interaction designers and community managers
- Product developers, product managers and business analysts
- All courses are taught by seasoned professionals who work in the UX industry and share tips and tricks of the profession that employers demand.
- The program has been developed in consultation with the industry to be relevant and completely up-to-date.
- Classes are scheduled on weekday evenings to fit your busy life, and you can complete your certificate outside of work hours in just one semester.
Online Learning Requirements
This course will be offered virtually for Fall 2020. The well-being of our students and community is our top priority, and we are excited to deliver dynamic and engaging courses in a fully online format.
Students will interact with instructors and other students through Zoom and SMU GO's Learning Management System (Canvas). To maximize classroom instruction and your learning experience, we require the use of video & audio devices during the Zoom meeting. It will be necessary to have reliable internet with sufficient bandwidth to support the use of video during class.
Registered students will receive individualized communication with further instructions to help you prepare for class.
Certificate Program Completion Requirements
Complete Bootcamp 1 & Bootcamp 2
- Introduction to User Experience
- User Experience Design Strategy
- Hands-On Design Thinking
- Choice of One Elective:
- Breaking into Design: Career Planning and Portfolio Development
- Customer Journey Mapping
- Experience and Service Design
- Design Principles in Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality and Holograms
- User Research and User Centered Analysis
- User Experience Design and Process Strategy
- Usability Testing
- Final presentation of student projects
- The 18 month clock begins on the first day of class.
- The program must be completed within the 18-month period so students should plan their schedules accordingly. This means that the last day of class of the last necessary area must be completed within the 18-month period.
- After 18 months from the student’s first day of class, when the student originally begins the program, the student’s enrollment in the program expires. The student will be removed from participating in the program. If they have not successfully completed the program within the 18-month window, their program status is “incomplete” and they will not receive a certificate of completion from the program.
- After 18 months, a former student may reapply to the program and will be subject to the program’s current tuition rate and space availability.
Tuition and Fees
- Tuition for each User Experience Design Boot Camp is $1,845.
- Discounts are available for SMU faculty, staff, students and alumni, as well as for groups and not-for-profit organizations.
Students may qualify for a Smart Options Continuing Education Student Loan, offered by Sallie Mae. Your Sallie Mae Loan application must be completed and approved 14 days before the first day of the program. Loan cannot exceed the cost of tuition. Contact our admissions team for details.
Students must register before attending a course. Instructors cannot accept registration fees. SMU reserves the right to substitute instructors, change course locations, cancel courses, adjust curricula or schedules, or limit enrollment.
Registration and Enrollment
- If taking the full User Experience Design Certificate program, please click “Register” and then “Apply Now” to begin your application. You will be required to log in or create an account if you do not already have one.
- After completing and submitting your application, SMU will approve your application and facilitate your payment.
- If you are interested in taking individual User Experience Design courses, please view available courses and enroll.
- You will receive an email receipt confirming your enrollment.
Jayneil Dalal is an AI Interaction Designer based in Dallas. He works at AT&T where he leads design transformation efforts. Jayneil is also a design instructor at Career Foundry and host of the DesignMBA.show podcast. He speaks and writes regularly for international conferences/publications such as Information Architecture Summit, Big Design Conference, UXDesign.cc, and UX Planet to share his research on AI and conversational design. Outside of work Jayneil practices yoga, plays soccer and reads Calvin & Hobbes comic strips. He strikes random conversations with random people at random times.
Tony Daussat is an award-winning designer currently working as a Lead Experience Design Strategist at Bottle Rocket Studios in Dallas, TX. He has worked with some of the world’s most exacting brands including: Hyatt, KFC, BaylorScott & White, Dave & Busters, Taco Cabana, Pollo Tropical, Caesars Entertainment, TripCase, FirstData, and Robert Half, to name a few.
He has started and sold two online companies, and is currently the host of the Experience Design podcast, boasting listeners in over 140 countries. He is a guest lecturer at Dallas Baptist University, and his public speaking includes Big Design, as well as HOW Design Live and UX Dallas later this year.
Tony is also the creator and instructor of the HiredUX course and founder of the UX Loves U product line. In his...spare time...Tony enjoys renovating his home and spending time with his wife and two toddlers.
Elisa Kaplan Miller
Elisa Kaplan Miller is an enterprise UX thought-leader who focuses on Agile/SAFe integration and other issues in the enterprise software development arena. A long time user advocate and audience detective, she is a passionate user-experience architect / user research specialist with broad experience in user experience research, content strategy, information architecture, and technical training across a variety of disciplines including banking/finance, healthcare, energy, semiconductors and high tech. Her professional toolbox contains many techniques for conducting quantitative and qualitative research for better understanding users. For the last 20+ years, she has integrated her strategic approach with a business perspective. Since moving from journalism to user experience, she has provided the strategic link between business, marketing and technology.
Crispin Reedy is a Voice User Experience designer and usability professional with over 10 years of front-line design, speech usability, and tuning experience across a variety of industries, including financial, telecommunications, health care and transportation. She is interested helping teams make excellent design decisions and how we can best leverage real-world data to achieve those goals. She has previously spoken at SpeechTEK, UXPA International, Dallas Tech Fest, Dallas Startup Week and Big Design Conference, and is currently serving as President of the Association for Voice Interaction Design.
Brandon grew up in eight states and the Philippines. When not working, Brandon loves watching movies, restoring old cars, training Kung Fu, and hanging out with his four adorable kids and lovely wife.
Miriam Ynocencio serves as the Director of Design Technology focused on leading the Design Thinking practice and curriculum within the AT&T Strategic Planning organization. She is helping lead the movement towards a user-centered, creative problem-solving approach through Design Thinking at AT&T. Miriam is responsible for driving speed to market, cost savings and increased quality solutions by partnering with product and development teams as she advocates for Design Thinking practices in advance of the project definition and development.
Before joining AT&T she held diverse roles in User Experience and Customer Experience at Fortune 500 companies including Oracle, American Express, Home Shopping Network, Sabre Holdings, Travelocity and American Airlines – where she led initiatives focused on developing desirable user experiences. Miriam earned her MBA from the NYU Stern School of Business. She also serves on the national board of AT&T’s Women in Tech and is an active member of AT&T’s HACEMOS Employee Group.
Did you know?
Average annual salary for app developers in Texas
Projected increase in employment by 2024 for web developers
Top job titles include UX designer, java developer, web developer.