SMU is committed to improving and serving the community. Our military members, spouses and veterans have sacrificed so much for our country. Now it’s time to turn your attention to bettering yourself, and it all starts here with SMU.

We understand that it may be difficult to go back to school full time in pursuit of a degree, but with SMU Continuing and Professional Education (CAPE), you can earn the certificates you need to place you ahead of your peers in the work force. We will provide you with the necessary resources and will work with you to achieve your goals.

Military Friendly School 2022-2023 Military Friendly Spouse School 2022-2023 College Factual Veterans Nationwide Top 10% 2020 


For more information or if you need assistance, please contact us at or 214-768-1086.

GI Bill® 

The GI Bill® is an all-inclusive program for eligible service members, veterans or family members that allows the VA to pay for the full cost of tuition (up to the highest state college tuition) plus a monthly housing allowance. SMU currently accepts all forms of the GI Bill®. Only selected in-person offerings of SMU CAPE certificate programs are approved to accept GI Bill® funds. For more information, or to check if you are eligible to use the GI Bill®, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Learn more about the GI Bill®

Post-9/11 GI Bill® students attending Non-College Degree (NCD) facilities, such as SMU Continuing and Professional Education, with terms starting on or after August 1, 2021 and who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments are required to verify enrollment on a monthly basis. 

Download the Enrollment Verification Process Guide 

Bobby B. Lyle School of Engineering Military Tuition Policy

The Lyle School of Engineering offers a discounted tuition rate for a variety of graduate programs. To determine if you are eligible, please review the Lyle School of Engineering Tuition Discount Policy. If you have any questions regarding the tuition discount policy please contact

Veteran Check-In

Veterans and service members experiencing difficulties in daily life or in distress can reach out to Check-In and trust that an advocate will find a licensed professional who can help.

More Information

Additional Resources

Future Veteran Students FAQ

The Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the VA to a GI Bill benefit user, and states the time allowance that remains on their benefit. A copy of the Certificate of Eligibility can be obtained via the eBenefits website, via the “Manage” tab under the “Education” option.

If you do not have a paper copy of your current COE, you can submit a screen shot from your eBenefits entitlement menu. 

You can be concurrently enrolled in a degree seeking program and certificate program. However, the GI Bill will not cover the cost of both programs. We encourage you to utilize your benefits for your degreed programs.

Yes. SMU and SMU CAPE are both proud partners of the Yellow Ribbon Program. With a limited number of slots available in our Research and Graduate Studies department, we will do our best to continue to make SMU an affordable option for your educational needs. If you would like more information, please visit the SMU Yellow Ribbon Program page or the VA’s Yellow Ribbon Program website. If you are interested in applying for the Yellow Ribbon program, please contact our VA Certifying Official at to inform them of your intent.

No. The Hazelwood Act is designed for use at Public Universities and Colleges, and cannot be utilized at SMU.

A. If your selected program is a professional certificate program then your program is certified by the VA in clock hours. In order to receive MHA, your program must meet the VA mandated half-time training status of 9 clock hours per week in order to receive a pro-rated MHA payment and book stipend. In order to receive a full MHA payment, your selected program must meet the full-time training standard of 18 clock hours per week. If you have any questions related to your MHA payments, contact the VA’s regional processing center at 1-888-442-4551. Our office does not work for the VA, as such, we cannot give you definitive information about your specific entitlement rate. All information given from our office is done so as an “educated assessment”, and we highly encourage all student veterans to contact the VA with any specific monetary questions.

Our office is located in the SMU Office of Global, Online and Continuing Education department office. The physical address is 5539 SMU Blvd, Dallas, Texas. Our office is open by appointment only.

Current Veteran Students FAQ

If you must drop out of a program past the drop date, your debt will be incurred with the VA. This debt will likely include all book stipend and MHA payments received for that program. If you must drop due to health reasons or an unforeseen emergency, you must have significant proof of that event. All determinations will be made by the VA and the School Certifying Official (SCO).

Absolutely. If you would like to reserve a time for you and your group to meet outside of normal instructional hours, we ask you email our office and tell us when you would like to meet. We will do our best to accommodate on a first-come-first-serve basis.

If you would like to attend a specific sporting event, please contact our office ahead of time and we will do our best to obtain tickets for you.

Yes. If you would like to be added to our monthly “Veterans Brief” email let us know via email,, and we will be sure to add you to our current email list. If at any point you would like to be removed, please email us to let us know.

The MilVets are the student veteran group here at SMU, and are comprised mostly of undergraduate students. However, that should not deter any students from becoming a part of the MilVets.