Transfer Students

Transfer students from another college or University work closely with the Transfer Student Services office to ensure a smooth transition. Traditional transfer students are those who transfer in 24 or more college credits after high school graduation. Please note, dual credit will not count toward those hours. First-year transfers are any student who has graduated high school but still only has 23 or less hours earned after graduation. If three or more years have passed since high school graduation, we highly recommend that students acquire 24 or more transferable hours before enrolling.

Transfer Student Process

  • Make sure that all academic records were sent by previous schools and received by SMU. The Office of Undergraduate Admission must receive all final transcripts and Statement of Good Standing forms before students can enroll at SMU.
  • After enrollment, students will be given access to the Pre-Advising Canvas Course.
  • After completing the course, students meet with an engineering pre-major advisor to review the Transfer Evaluation Report and discuss how incoming transfer credits will contribute to an SMU degree. They also discuss the Common Curriculum and major and minor interests.
  • Students leave the meeting enrolled in classes for the next semester.
  • Transfer students have the opportunity to submit a petition to re-evaluate their transfer credits to meet different or additional requirements. To do so, they can work with their advisor to complete the Undergraduate Petition for Reevaluation of Transfer Work form.

Reevaluation Form