SMU Lyle School of Engineering undergraduate programs in civil engineering, electrical and computer engineering, environmental engineering, and mechanical engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org. The undergraduate computer science program that awards the degree Bachelor of Science (B.S.) is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org. The undergraduate computer science program that awards the degree Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) is not accredited by a Commission of ABET. ABET does not provide accreditation for the disciplines of management science. ABET is the recognized accreditor for college and university programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and technology. ABET is a federation of more than 25 professional and technical societies representing these fields. Among the most respected accreditation organizations in the U.S., ABET has provided leadership and quality assurance in higher education for over 70 years. ABET accreditation is a significant achievement. It means that:
• Our students are ready to practice as soon as they graduate.
• Our local employers can count on our program graduates to meet their needs.
• The parents of our students can be proud of the education their children receive and confident that their time and money were well spent.
• Our state licensure, certification, and registration boards know our graduates are prepared to enter the profession.
• The postgraduate institutions to which our students apply recognize our program for producing graduates with the skills and attributes required by the profession.
• Our institution supports our program and provides the resources needed to sustain it.