Graduation is an exciting time for students! All students will be given an “expected graduation term” when they enter SMU. If the student’s expected graduation term changes, they need to contact the Office of Undergraduate Advising to let them know about the change.
Steps to file for graduation:
- Complete the graduation confirmation survey sent to you by email from the Lyle Undergraduate Advising Office.
- Complete the Application for Candidacy to Graduate (ACG) in my.smu.edu.
- Meet with your faculty advisor to review your graduation degree plan and degree progress report.
- Follow the instructions that are sent to you by email from the Lyle Undergraduate Advising Office to submit your graduation degree plan and UC/CC sheet in DocuSign.
- Log into Box.smu.edu to locate your graduation degree plan and UC/CC sheet.
- Email UGLyleAdvising@smu.edu if you have any questions or cannot locate your graduation documents.
- Complete any exit interviews required by your department.
SMU Registrar’s office is responsible for organizing and executing the All-SMU Commencement Ceremonies. There are two graduations, one in May and one in December. Students may choose one, and only one, to attend. SMU Registrar’s office also has resources on regalia rentals, diploma information and event details.
All policies regarding graduation can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Lyle also holds a commencement ceremony for students who have graduated with an engineering degree. Students may participate in this ceremony in addition to the All-SMU Commencement. The Lyle ceremony is only held in May, on the same day as the All-SMU graduation. Students who are applying for May graduation can indicate their interest in participating in the Lyle ceremony on my.smu.edu. If an August or December graduate wants to join in the Lyle May ceremony, they will need to submit a Commencement Participation Form. Email UGLyleAdvising@smu.edu to request the form.