- We treat all people with courtesy and respect.
- We take personal responsibility for providing the best possible service at all times.
- We identify and address needs proactively and positively.
- We listen to our users and respond to suggestions and concerns with fairness and flexibility.
- We maintain the privacy of our library users without judgment or bias.
Public Service Policies
Animals in the Library
Service animals are welcome in the library.
Cell Phone and Video Chat Calls
Please be considerate of others. Library staff may ask callers to move to a less disruptive area.
Public Computer Use
Southern Methodist University's Computing and Communications Policy 12.3 (found within section 12.0 Intellectual Policy / Information Technology in the University Policy Manual) governs the use of all computers and networks of the University. (Available only to SMU Students, Faculty, and Staff; Login required). Visitors who violate this policy may be asked to leave or be reported to the SMU Police Department.
Although Fondren Library makes every attempt to protect library users' privacy, all university electronic information is the property of SMU, unless otherwise stated in a contractual agreement or other applicable policy and may be subject to review by authorized officials.
Fondren Library expects all visitors, both SMU affiliates and guests, to act responsibly and respectfully. This includes:
- adhering to University Policy 13.10 which prohibits “unauthorized canvassing, peddling, and/or solicitation.”
- avoiding interfering with, threatening or harassing library staff or other library users, including engaging patrons in unwelcome conversations about religion, politics, or other issues.
We regret that Fondren Library is unable to accept gifts of library materials at this time.
Events at Fondren Library
- Only library-sponsored or library-approved tabling may be held in the Collaborative Commons (Starbucks area). For approval, please submit a Tabling/Event Request.
- Events must be small and occur during a time of the year that minimizes disruption to students. AV equipment may not be used.
- Those sponsoring the event are responsible for set-up, take-down and all post-event clean-up.
- The Texana Room may only be reserved and used for internal, library-sponsored events. Direct questions to Elizabeth Killingsworth, Director of Fondren Library and Head of Research Services.
Filming and Photography in Fondren Library
Filming and photography in Fondren Library must be approved by the Director of Fondren Library. Submit a Film Request Form to the Fondren Library Main Desk for approval at least 5 business days prior to the filming date.
Filming and Photography:
- may be performed only in approved areas.
- must not disturb library users or staff members, or interfere with normal library operations.
Food and Drink
Food and drinks are allowed in all areas of Fondren Library except in the computer labs. Please dispose of your trash and report large spills to library staff. You are responsible for any damage to library equipment.
Student fund raising activities are not allowed in the library. For Southern Methodist University fund raising policies and procedures, please visit the University Policies Manual Section 6.4.
Lost & Found
Lost & Found is located at the Main Desk in the lobby of Fondren Library. Valuables are held for 7 days and then taken to the SMU Police Department campus lost and found. SMU ID Cards are taken to Parking and ID Card Services in Hughes-Trigg Student Center. All other items are held for 30 days and then donated or discarded.
Posting on Bulletin Boards
Fondren Library staff reserve the right to remove postings at their discretion. Items posted anywhere other than designated bulletin boards (e.g. walls or doors) will be removed.
Privacy and Confidentiality
Fondren Library actively protects the privacy and confidentiality of library patrons and their use of resources and services. Library patrons are entitled to view and update their information. Some information is provided by other campus offices (e.g. Registrar's Office or Human Resources), so may need to be updated elsewhere if it is not correct.
Quiet Study Areas in Fondren Library
The Library has designated Quiet Study and Group Study areas. Signage indicating the designation is posted on each floor. Please notify a library staff member if someone is being disruptive.
- Speak quietly and only when necessary. Keep conversations brief.
- No cell phone use.
- Quiet discussion encouraged.
- Cell phone use OK in study rooms, lobby, and stairwells.
All tobacco products and e-cigarettes are prohibited.
Study Room Policies
- Group study rooms are available for use by SMU students, staff, and faculty.
- The maximum reservation length is 3 hours and 6 hours total per day.
- Study room windows cannot be blocked or covered at any time.
Fondren Library Graduate Study Room Policies
- Individual long-term study rooms are assigned to SMU graduate and doctoral students on a first come-first served basis.
- Rooms are assigned for one academic year. Renewals are granted on a case-by-case basis.
- Please check out items before leaving them in your study room.
- The library assumes no responsibility for personal items left in the rooms.
Please do not leave personal belongings unattended. The library is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage of personal property. Personal belongings may not be used to hold a study, carrel, or computer. The library reserves the right to remove unattended belongings to lost and found, located at the Main Desk.
back to top