D.Min. FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions for the Doctor of Ministry Degree Program

How do I enroll in the Doctor of Ministry program?

After being admitted to the university, students register for courses online at my.smu.edu. Instructions for completing registration are found at the D.Min. website under Enrollment. SMU has created helpful tutorials at the my.SMU enrollment pages. SMU students can use these tutorials if they need assistance with enrollment. To view the tutorials click here: Tutorials

What do I need to do if I do not complete the thesis according to schedule?

Those who have not completed the thesis according to schedule need to request an extension from the D.Min. director. The extension grants one more academic year to complete the thesis. During this additional year the student will enroll in DM8000-Research Course. DM8000 will generate a tuition and fees charge for .5 credit hours.

How can I withdraw from a course?

Please contact the Doctor of Ministry office and the Perkins registrar, Joe Monroy, by e-mail (jmonroy@smu.edu) stating in writing your desire to withdraw.

How do I obtain my my.SMU Password?

Once a student has been admitted to the University, an email account and password will be generated for use by the student. You will need to contact the Help Desk at 214.768.HELP or helpdesk@mail.smu.edu to receive your password. Please mention that you are a theology student.

How do I change my address?

Updates to the student’s home, mailing, and billing addresses should be made by using my.SMU under “Your Portfolio.” The enrollment system requires students to update their information each term. For more information about changing your address click here: Change Address

How do I receive my grades?

Grade sheets are entered on-line by instructors and are generally posted by the date indicated on the Academic Calendar. Grades may be viewed the next day using my.SMU. Your “login ID required” is the 8-digit number on your student ID card. Due to this new on-line posting of grades, information is NOT given out over the phone and official grade reports are NOT mailed to the student's permanent address.

How can I change a grade?

The instructor who taught the course and authorized by the department chair and course dean must initiate a grade change. Once the grade change form is received in the University Registrar's Office, the student can view it the following day using my.SMU.

How do I remove service indicators from my student account in my.SMU

Library, parking and miscellaneous service indicators, or “holds,” are paid and processed on my.SMU. Students may pay fines online and the hold will be removed. Please allow two weeks for tuition holds to be processed manually after payment is received. Other holds include personal information update requirements which can be removed by updating your information.

Why was I assigned a free webmail account?

All faculty, staff, and students are assigned an SMU email account. All official University correspondence , including important information about your classes and tuition billing, is directed to the SMU email address, so it is important to check this account regularly. For help on using webmail go to https://webmail.smu.edu/. Students should enroll in the password reset tool in order to avoid being locked out of your account.

Where can I find a webmail address for a faculty, staff or student at SMU?

You can find webmail addresses of anyone who has an SMU webmail account or any departmental webmail account by clicking here: Email Search

How do I find contact information for a faculty or staff person?

Perkins contact information is available at www.perkins.smu.edu under faculty and staff. Names are listed in alphabetical order.

How do I request an academic transcript?

Instructions for ordering an official SMU transcript may be found here: SMU Official Transcripts

Instructions for currently enrolled students who wish to print an unofficial transcript are found here: Unofficial Transcripts

How do I request enrollment verification?

Instructions for requesting enrollment verification may be found here:  Enrollment Verification

How do I obtain an academic catalog?

The Perkins academic catalog is found online.

Where can I park while attending classes at Perkins?

Please find parking information at SMU Parking and ID Card Services.

Where can I stay during the D.Min. sessions?

Please contact Pamela Hogan at phogan@smu.edu for a hotel list. During the June and January term, Doctoral students may use area hotels, and Pamela Hogan has a current list of SMU preferred hotels that provide special rates for SMU students. The Houston cohort will meet for courses at Houston Methodist Hospital, 6550 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77030.

Where can I make copies and use my computer while on campus?

The campus libraries have copy machines and wireless access to the Internet. Copy cards may be purchased at Bridwell Library for use with copiers on the theology campus. 

How do I arrange for the selection of an advisor and a second reader?

After completing course work, the student, in consultation with the D.Min director and potential faculty members at Perkins, will select an advisor and a second reader to work on the directed study and the writing of the thesis.

Who do I contact with questions while working on my project?

Your advisor is your main and primary consultant as you are writing your thesis. Both advisor and second reader will answer questions and guide the writing process.

How do I file for graduation?

Perkins student must obtain the approval from Joe Monroy - our registrar before they can fill out the ACG form. Joe Monroy opens the portal once he has communicated with the Director and the candidate is approved for graduation.

Students then must file the Application for Candidacy to Graduate (ACG) form with the D.Min. office at the beginning of the term in which they are scheduled to complete all degree requirements. These applications should be filed by the deadline date on the University Calendar. For detailed instructions during the graduation term, please review the Graduation Checklist found on the D.Min. website.