Congratulations to the SMU Cheer squad on bringing home the NCA Collegiate National Championship in Intermediate Division I for the THIRD YEAR IN A ROW in 2018. We are so proud of these athletes and will forever remember this team in this history making experience of being back to back TO BACK National Champions. PONY UP and amazing job!!!
Thank you for your interest in SMU Cheer! Southern Methodist University offers a well-rounded collegiate cheer experience and an excellent opportunity to show your school spirit.
The SMU Cheerleading squad is a highly competitive team consisting of 20 to 30 young men and women. Twenty of the team's members compete at NCA College Nationals held in Daytona Beach, Florida where the squad placed first in 2016, 2017 and once again in 2018. This highly spirited and skilled squad cheers at all home football games, bowl games, men's and women's home basketball games, volleyball games, and tournament play. Members of the SMU Cheer squad participate in community service events around campus and the Dallas area. In the past few years, SMU Cheer has traveled to Hawaii, New York City, Orlando, Tampa, and many other places throughout the country. SMU Cheer is more than a team, we are a family!
If you would like to request an appearance by the SMU Cheerleading squad please contact the SMU cheer coach at firstname.lastname@example.org. No appearance requests are accepted during final examinations.
Members of the SMU Cheer squad in good academic standing and perform advanced skills receive a book stipend and have an opportunity to earn a larger tuition scholarship through an application process. Please contact the SMU cheer coach, Tiffany Fettinger, regarding this opportunity.
Tryouts for the 2019-2020 year will take place on April 12 and April 13 at the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports.
April 12 - Friday
- 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM - Registration
- 4:30 PM - 7:00 PM - Clinic and interviews (CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC)
April 13 - Saturday
- 9:00 AM - 9:30 AM - Warmups and Review
- Tryout process begins immediately after. (CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC)
All cheer squad hopefuls will be asked to perform standing and running tumbling skills, jumps connected to a backhand spring or back tuck, material taught at tryouts, and stunting skills as requested by the coach and judges. Appearance, attitude, enthusiasm and performance are also factors in the tryout process.
Video tryouts are only accepted on a case by case basis. Please email SMU cheer coach, Tiffany Fettinger, for more information on this process.
What to Wear
- Females: black sports bra, spandex, hair half up half down, curled, white bow, fake eye lashes, red lipstick, white socks and cheer shoes.
- Males: Solid black t-shirt, athletic shorts, athletic shoes, clean shaven
What to Bring
- Tryout application:
- Tryout waiver:
- A physical performed by an MD or DO in the past six months
- Athletic training room waiver - Available at registration
- Copy of your medical insurance card
- $50 Tryout Fee - cash or check made out to "SMU Spirit"
- Acceptance letter to SMU or print-out of your schedule for Fall 2019 if already an SMU student.
- If you were not on the team last year, two letters of recommendation (one MUST be from a cheer coach or sponsor and include their contact information - no family members please).
- Current Full body photo of yourself (females in crop top cheer uniform, or sports bra and spandex). This will not be returned.
Mandatory Summer Practices and College Cheer Camp:
If you are selected for the 2019-2020 squad please note the dates below.
Mandatory physical by SMU Athletic trainers and doctors - TBD
Practices - July 14-19
NCA College Camp hosted at SMU - July 20-22
All members will be required to receive and pass their physical by the SMU Training Room prior to participating in practices and camp. This date will be announced after tryouts.
If selected for the 2019-2020 SMU Cheer squad these practices and camp are mandatory unless prior written approval has been given by Tiffany Fettinger. Missing practices and camp is never acceptable for rookies.
For additional information about SMU Spirit squads, please contact Tiffany Fettinger at 214-768-1500 or email@example.com.