Reservation is the dedicated and committed space for an SMU chartered or probationary status Student Organization in good standing with University or SMU Academic/Business department to host an activity for SMU community only. If reservation requests does not meet the criteria below, please see Special Events section.
- Reservation Request MUST be received 3 business days (Monday-Friday) in advance of intended date of use.
- All Reservations are subject to University Policies and Campus Recreation Rules, Protocols, and Procedures.
- Some spaces have additional rules for use. See Rules and Protocols on the Dedman Center webpage for specific spaces.
- All attendees and participants are SMU students or SMU faculty/staff.
- Non-SMU attendees must be approved by SMU Campus Recreation or See Special Events below.
- No charge or fee to attend or participate.
- Total attendance/participation is less than 50 people.
- Reoccurring Reservations are limited to: 2 hour duration, 1 per day, and 3 days per week or total 6 hours/week.
- Space use must be relevant to space design and intended use. Mat Room reservations should include the activity description and justification for use of padded floor.
- No food distributed or consumed.
- Drinks with resealable containers (like a water bottle) may be distributed.
- Classroom or Meeting Space is desired.
- Activities involving instructor-led activities, classes, and workshops MUST be approved by SMU Campus Recreation.
- For external-to-SMU instructors or instruction, the organization must submit the Contract Information Form, available on the SMU Connect website.
- Campus Recreation must receive a copy of the approved Contract 3-days prior to the intended date of use.
- Depending on the activity, instructors may be found contacting SMU Campus Recreation Fitness (exercise related) and SMU Police (self-defense).
Additional Rules, Limitations, and Procedures outlined below with specific instructions for submitting a Reservation Request.
Special Events are classified differently and will require adherence to Campus Recreation and University Polices, Procedures and Protocols regarding Events on Campus. Special Event Requests must be received 4 weeks prior to the desired date. Contractual agreement between the organization or department and Campus Recreation will be required and completed at least 2 weeks prior to event dates.
To begin the Special Event process:
- SMU organizations and departments: 1) Complete the Special Event Questionnaire link below, AND 2) Submit a Reservation Request in STABLE (scroll down for instructions)
- External-to-SMU Requesters should start with the Special Event Inquiry Questionnaire link below.
A member of the SMU Campus Recreation staff will contact you shortly.
Special Event Inquiry Questionnaire
Special Event criteria includes but not limited to:
- Events will be dependent upon space availability.
- Duration exceeds 3 hours and attendance/participation exceeds 50 people.
- Involves Non-SMU attendance or participation.
- Requires an attendance, participation, or registration fee, or hosted/sponsored by an external to SMU non-profit or for-profit organization, association, business, club, etc.
- Activities involving minors (individuals under the age of 18 years), animals, and serving or distribution of food.
- Event is outside of Dedman Center’s published hours of operation.
- Requires special set-up and breakdown such as manipulation of space, stage, tables, chairs, music, food service, floor coverings, etc.
As reservations for an individual are not accepted, individual SMU Students and Dedman Center Members may utilize a limited number of secured spaces on a first come, first serve basis called “Drop-In Use”.
- Drop-In Use is limited to Mat Room Studio, Studio 2, and Studio 3. Classrooms and Studio 1 require a reservation.
- Drop-In Use is first come, first serve and not permitted 15 minutes prior to an existing reservation.
- Limited to 1 hour.
- Does NOT include stereo, AV, or equipment stored in closets. If equipment is out, it may be used.
- Must provide SMU or Dedman Member Card to the front desk.
- Drop-In Use will be documented to the individual requesting to utilize the space.
- If not informed upon arrival to the space, damages and condition will be the responsibility of last user of the space. Charges and fees may be applied.
- SMU Campus Recreation reserves the right to suspend Dedman Center privileges, place holds on accounts, and report for Community Standards and Conduct cases until balance paid.
What Rules, Procedures or Guidelines When Reserving Space?
- All spaces must be returned to the original condition and trashed removed before the end of the reservation or event.
- Smoking, vaping, and the possession or consumption of illicit drugs are prohibited on property and will result in immediate termination of reservation or event, student conduct discipline case on the organization and/or requester, and possibly charges with SMU Police.
- Possession, consumption, or influence of alcohol is prohibited on-property and will result in immediate termination of the reservation or event, student conduct discipline case on the organization and/or requester, and possibly charges with SMU Police.
- The reservation requester and organization or department will be held responsible for damage, repairs, and/or or additional charges associated with a return to original condition as determined by SMU Campus Recreation.
- Failure to follow Event/Reservation Expectations or abide by the Rules and Guidelines will result in loss of future reservations, additional charges, and possible submission to Student Conduct and Community Standards.
- SMU Campus Recreation reserves the right to cancel Reservations and Events at any time.
NOTE: To submit a Reservation requires SMU Log In Credentials.
A Request is only a request. The request does not approve or confirm a reservation. Requesters will receive a reservation confirmation email upon approval providing additional guidance and outlining specific limitations. Without this approval, the space is not reserved and use of the space will be denied upon arrival to Dedman Center.
- Log into SMU STABLE
- Select Indoor Reservation Request
- Enter the Meeting/Event Title to include the SMU student organization or Academic/Business department name (EX: Campus Recreation Yoga Class, Bass Fishing Club, etc.).
- ENTER A BRIEF DESCRIPTON TO INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- If reoccurring reservation (same space, same time, same day each week), include the reoccurrence. EX: MWF, SatSunM, etc.
- SMU student organization or academic/business department hosting or sponsoring reservation;
- Type of attendees (SMU and/or Non-SMU) and expected attendance/participation;
- Activities to be conducted in space;
- If instructor-led activities, provide the name of instructor; AND
- Any additional considerations such as but not limited to: food or drink served or distributed, vendors, DJ, music, etc.,
- Enter the Reservation Type (Activity)
- Answer the additional questions.
- Unless otherwise directed, no Org number is necessary.
- Select Continue
- Enter the Start Date and Time to include set up.
- Enter the End Date and Time to include breakdown and clean up.
- For Property, enter Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports, Intramural Field or Crum La Crosse and Multi-Sport Field.
- Select Show More Search Options
- Enter number of people expected to attend, not just participate.
- Select Search
- The associated space in the Dedman Center will appear at the bottom.
- Select the desired space.
- Select Continue
- Select Change General Information to make edits to description, etc.
- Select Change Time and Location to edit dates/times or space.
- To create a reoccurring reservation (same times and space), select Repeat This Reservation.
- If complete, select OK, Close Wizard.
If a Special Event, additional information and requirements will be communicated via email to the requester.