Esports Business Management Certificate
March 15, 2021
Live online class meetings take place Wednesdays, 7:30 - 8:30PM Central Time
Standard Registration: $4950
The certificate consists of six required 12 contact hour courses (72 contact hours total) which offer a mix of asynchronous material and weekly live online meetings with your instructor. You may complete the recorded asynchronous material at your own pace prior to each corresponding live session. The certificate can be completed in as few as 6 months.
- Obtain management skills and tools to initiate, plan, and execute live Esports events.
- Gain a competitive advantage in a global and growing industry by gaining a comprehensive understanding of the Esports industry.
- Build relationships with Esports professionals.
- Learn the nuances of Esports revenue streams, sponsorship and fan engagement.
What will you learn?
SMU works with some of the most accomplished names in the world of esports. From local entrepreneurs, to business owners around the country, you will learn from some of the best and brightest who are involved in just about every aspect of Esports: team building, the business of esports (management, finance, risks, and more), fan engagement, streaming strategies, sponsorship, tournament design, and much more.
Who should attend?
The Esports business management skills taught in this certificate program would be applicable to:
- Aspiring Esports organizers who are passionate about the industry
- Current professionals looking to learn more about the Esports industry
- Sales/sponsorship activation
- Game developers/publishers
- eSports team owners
- Team coaches
- Event managers
- VC’s/investors, consultants, entrepreneurs
Where are these courses offered?
This SMU Esports Business Management Certificate is completely online. You will never be required to attend a brick-and-mortar classroom and you can complete your entire course from the comfort of your own home or office.
Students will meet as a class once a week with the instructors for discussions, review of concepts, and to answer questions. Students will also have reading, videos, activities and quizzes to take on their own time in between real-time, online meetings.
Certificate Program Components:
Esports Ecosystem and Business Models
Learn about the history of esports, and how new business models are created based on current trends.
Fan Engagement and Sponsorship Activation
Understand how to use data to develop engagement and marketing strategies.
Content and Community Engagement
Learn about strategies and emerging trends in monetizing content and streaming.
Business Development and Revenue Strategies
Gain an in depth understanding of the unique value that esports provides to sponsors and brands. Learn about developing and drawing up sponsor packages, pricing and contracts.
Tournament Design and Management
Study the implications of different games and different communities on tournament design and organization. Learn about budgeting, pricing, fees, and tournament licensing.
Esports Team Organization, Management & Recruitment
Learn how to negotiate and manage player contracts, performance expectations, and content and branding rights. Discover how to implement athletic performance improvement models, training techniques, and technologies.
- Priority Rate (until two weeks before start date): $4700
- Standard Registration: $4950
- Corporate rate available*
*Two or more participants from one organization. Contact us for more details.
Payments and Financing
- Students must register before attending a course. Instructors cannot accept registration fees. SMU reserves the right to substitute instructors, change course locations, cancel courses, adjust curricula or schedules, or limit enrollment.
What skills do online learners need?
How do students interact with instructors?
All courses are taught by instructors who provide support for students through the real-time online class meetings, online office hours, and discussion boards.
Do I need an email account for my online course?
What are the advantages to online learning?
What kind of certificate do I get when I have completed the course?
Once you have completed your required courses, a Certificate of Completion from Southern Methodist University will be awarded.