Major Declaration

Transfer students are typically admitted to SMU as pre-majors but may declare an engineering major during AARO if they have completed the engineering subset.

To be a declared student at Lyle, transfer students must have completed all subset requirements for the major they intend to pursue and have submitted a Major Declaration Form. The process to declare a major and become a student of advanced standing is a two-part process that requires the approval of both the University Advising Center and the engineering department offering the intended major. Upon approval, students are matched with a faculty advisor.

Students are required to meet with their faculty advisors at least once a semester. Students may wish to meet with their advisor more often to discuss opportunities such as 4-year degree plans, courses and co-op, study abroad, etc.