Across all industries, firms today capture and maintain enormous amounts of individual-level data on their customers and prospects. This has led to a vast increase in data resources available—and a high demand for professionals who can translate technical data into actionable insights.
In the past, companies have focused on reporting, data management and business intelligence. Business Analytics goes beyond the traditional data, BI and reporting environments and focuses on how to better analyze your business using information to gain insight to the business. It extends data management and business intelligence (data warehousing) to enable the management of big data, and combines it with data analytics and business information to analyze consumer behavior, web site data, marketing data and even to perform predictive analytics. The broad and intensive curriculum across a range of management disciplines and functions explores the latest methods of translating data into relevant information for decision-makers.
With big data, firms can react in real-time to customize product and service offerings, if they have the highly specialized talent trained to leverage this increased complexity. SMU Cox recognized this high-growth and high-reward career path when we developed the MSBA program for those interested in solving today’s business challenges using big data. In fact, 85% of the positions in the field of business analytics require an advanced degree, with 75 percent listing an MS degree as an educational requirement for a career in the field. Graduates of the Cox MSBA program will be well poised to take advantage of these increasing opportunities.
The Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) degree at SMU Cox provides students with the expertise and specialized Analytic skills that employers in IT, marketing, operations and consulting are demanding now. The broad and intensive curriculum across a range of management disciplines and functions explores the latest methods of translating data into relevant information for decision-makers. Either Full-Time or Part-Time, the MSBA program prepares students for successful careers in the burgeoning field of business analytics from business analysts, data analysts, marketing analysts, financial analysts, data base and data warehouse architects to data scientists.
- The MSBA is a 33 credit-hour degree. The Full-Time program is two semesters (four, 7-week Modules) which starts in August and completed in May the following year. The Part-Time program is 4 semesters (seven, 7-week Modules), which starts in August and completed in December the following year.
- This degree program is "jointly owned" by the Information Technology and Operations Management (ITOM) Department and the Marketing Department within the SMU Cox Business School. It focuses on true Business Analytics from a Business, Statistical and Information Technology perspective.
- Students have the option of two program specialization, or tracks
- Business Process Analytics- DB Concepts & Applications
- Customer Analytics - Marketing Research & Customer Centric Analytics
- Instruction is in traditional classroom with all courses being taught on the Main Campus.
- Candidates come from a variety of backgrounds including degrees in economics, math, engineering, marketing and science. All degrees are welcome to apply.
- This program is STEM and OPT certified.