Dr. Sidharth Muralidharan, Assistant Professor in the Temerlin Advertising Institute, earned his Ph.D. in mass communication in 2012 from The University of Southern Mississippi. His research interests include studying cultural differences in advertising with an emphasis on Indian markets and abroad, and advertising that emphasizes on social responsibility issues like green advertising. He has presented his research in national and regional conferences and formerly worked for Zehnder Communications, New Orleans. Muralidharan is a member of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) and the American Academy of Advertising (AAA). He teaches undergraduate and graduate courses at Meadows.
Ph.D. Mass Communication, The University of Southern Mississippi, 2012
M.S. Communication, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, La., 2008
B.E. Information Technology, Bharathiar University, India, 2004
Survey of Advertising (ADV 2374)
Advertising Ethics (ADV 2375)
Responsibility and Social Entrepreneurship (ADV 6372)
Journal Publications (Peer-Reviewed)
- Muralidharan, S., & Men, R. L. How Peer Communication and Engagement Motivations Influence Social Media Shopping Behavior: Evidence from China and the United States. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking (accepted). [SSCI Indexed Journal]
- Muralidharan, S., Rejón-Guardia, F., & Xue, F. Understanding the green buying behavior of Millennials from India and the United States: A structural equation modeling approach. Journal of International Consumer Marketing (accepted).
- Muralidharan, S., & Sung, Y. Direct and mediating effects of information efficacy on voting behavior: Political socialization of young adults in the 2012 U.S. Presidential elections. Communication Reports (accepted).
- Muralidharan, S., La Ferle, C., & Sung, Y. (2015). How culture influences ‘social’ in social media: Socializing and advertising on smartphones in India and the USA. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 18(6), 356-360. [SSCI Indexed Journal]
- Xue, F., & Muralidharan, S. (2015). A green picture is worth a thousand words? - Effects of visual and textual environmental appeals in advertising and the moderating role of product involvement. Journal of Promotion Management, 21(1), 82-106.
- Muralidharan, S., & Xue, F. (2015). Influence of TV endorser types on advertising attitudes and purchase intention among Indian rural women: An exploratory study. Asian Journal of Communication, 25(2), 213-231. [SSCI Indexed Journal]
- Muralidharan, S., Yoon, H. J., Sung, Y., Miller, J., & Lee, A. (2014). Following the breadcrumbs: Analyzing online product review characteristics by online shoppers. Journal of Marketing Communications (in press).
- Narro, A. & Muralidharan, S. (2011). Local publishers have been ignored: An examination of publisher influence on content. Louisiana Communication Journal, 13, 29-48.
- Muralidharan, S., Dillistone, K., & Shin, J. H. (2011). The Gulf Coast oil spill: Extending the theory of image restoration discourse to the realm of social media and beyond petroleum. Public Relations Review, 37(3), 226-232. [SSCI Indexed Journal]
- Muralidharan, S., Rasmussen, L., Patterson, D., & Shin, J. H. (2011). Hope for Haiti: An analysis of Facebook and Twitter usage during the earthquake relief efforts. Public Relations Review, 37(2), 175-177. [SSCI Indexed Journal] [Listed in Most Cited Public Relations Review Articles]
Book Chapters (Invited)
- Muralidharan, S. (forthcoming). Insecurities of a nation on the rise: Race, advertising, and media in the Indian context. In C. P. Campbell (Ed.), The Routledge companion to race and media. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Muralidharan, S., Dillistone, K., & Shin, J. H. (2013). Using social media to restore BP’s corporate image. Hot Topics. International Advertising Association.
- University of Southern Mississippi departmental Top Graduate Student award, 2010-11
- Top student paper in the PR Division at the 2011 Southern States Communication Association (SSCA) conference (University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg)
- Dr. Robert Gene Wiggins Fellowship, University of Southern Mississippi, 2010-11
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette departmental Outstanding Graduate Student award, 2008