A. The Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the VA to a GI Bill benefit user, and states the time allowance that remains on their benefit. A copy of the Certificate of Eligibility can be obtained via the eBenefits website, via the “Manage” tab under the “Education” option.
A. If you must drop out of a program past the drop date, your debt will be incurred with the VA. This debt will likely include all book stipend and MHA payments received for that program. If you must drop due to health reasons or an unforeseen emergency, you must have significant proof of that event. All determinations will be made by the VA and the School Certifying Official (SCO).
A. Absolutely. If you would like to reserve a time for you and your group to meet outside of normal instructional hours, we ask you email our office and tell us when you would like to meet. We will do our best to accommodate on a first-come-first-serve basis.
A. If you would like to attend a specific sporting event, please contact our office ahead of time and we will do our best to obtain tickets for you.
A. You can be concurrently enrolled in a degree seeking program and certificate program. However, the GI Bill will not cover the cost of both programs. We encourage you to utilize your benefits for your degreed programs, but will work with you if you choose to use your benefits for a certificate program.
A. All current chapter of the GI Bill are accepted at SMU for VA certified programs. If you are applying for your educational benefits, we encourage you to contact our office to discuss which chapter best fits your needs.
A. SMU GO does participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, but only for the Research and Graduate Studies (RSGS) department. For more information, please visit the SMU Yellow Ribbon webpage.
A. No. The Hazelwood Act is designed for use at Public Universities and Colleges, and cannot be utilized at SMU.
A. If you do not have a paper copy of your current COE, you can submit a screen shot from your eBenefits entitlement menu. Below is an acceptable entitlement screen shot. Veterans screenshot
A. If your selected program is a professional certificate program then your program is certified by the VA in clock hours. In order to receive MHA, your program must meet the VA mandated half-time training status of 9 clock hours per week in order to receive a pro-rated MHA payment and book stipend. In order to receive a full MHA payment, your selected program must meet the full-time training standard of 18 clock hours per week. If you have any questions related to your MHA payments, contact the VA’s regional processing center at 1-888-442-4551. Our office does not work for the VA, as such, we cannot give you definitive information about your specific entitlement rate. All information given from our office is done so as an “educated assessment”, and we highly encourage all student veterans to contact the VA with any specific monetary questions.
A. Our office is located in the SMU Global and Online (SMU GO) office. The physical address is 5539 SMU Blvd, Dallas, Texas. Our normal office hours are 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Our office is open by appointment only on Fridays to allow for processing.
A. Yes. If you would like to be added to our monthly “Veterans Brief” email let us know via email,, and we will be sure to add you to our current email list. If at any point you would like to be removed, please email us to let us know.
A. The MilVets are the student veteran group here at SMU, and are comprised mostly of undergraduate students. However, that should not deter any students from becoming a part of the MilVets.

Contact Us

Complete the form below to get in touch with a veteran advisor.


Veteran Advisor: Robert Hurst