Start your application to SMU Guildhall now
6 steps to submitting your SMU Guildhall application
The following steps must be completed for an application to be considered.
1. Submit your application form & fee*
Register/log in to our application system, then follow the on-screen instructions. Until you submit, you can return to this site as often as you like to update your information.
Applications for Fall 2023 enrollment will open on September 1, 2022 with the following application deadlines:
- December 1, 2022 (early)
- February 15, 2023 (regular)
- March 15, 2023 (extended)
- April 15, 2023 (final)
*Note: The $100 USD Nonrefundable SMU Guildhall Application Fee has been waived for all applicants this year!
2. Submit your video essay
See our Admission Requirements page for additional information.
How to submit your document:
- Register/log in to our portfolio submission site
- Select the specialization for which you will be applying (Art, Design, Production, or Programming)
- Submit your video essay as an upload in the media section of your online portfolio
3. Submit your portfolio
Following the same process as in Step #2 above, upload a link to your existing digital portfolio or your completed portfolio assignments to our online portfolio site. Your portfolio and/or assignments must follow all instructions for your specialization detailed here.
4. Send us your transcripts
All of your official undergraduate transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution to SMU Guildhall at the following address:
PO Box #750309
Dallas TX 75275
If your institution offers e-transcripts as official documentation, those may be emailed to our admission office.
5. Report your test scores
Standardized test scores such as the GED, SAT and GRE are optional but will be accepted (copies are acceptable at this stage.) TOEFL or IELTS English proficiency test scores are required if you are a non-U.S. applicant and do not hold a degree from an accredited English-speaking college or university.
6. Give us two references
Following the same process as in Step #2 above, upload contact information for two references to our online portfolio site. These should be non-family members who can attest to your aptitude and skill level. Good examples include past professors, supervisors, or employers.
For International Applicants:
- English Language Proficiency — International students are required to submit test scores from an internationally recognized English language test, such as the TOEFL or IELTS English proficiency tests, if the applicant is from a country where the predominant language of instruction is not English. A score of at least 550 (paper test) or 80 (computer test) is required on the TOEFL for admission consideration. A score of 6.5 or higher is required on the IELTS for admission consideration.
- Visas — For students requiring a U.S. Visa, it is mandatory that your certification of funds be completed and returned with your SMU Guildhall application:
- Cohort 32 Financial Certification for Study at SMU – Financial statement must be original documents stamped by financial institution official and converted into US dollars. *Please note that Cohort 33 estimated living expenses are not yet available and this document is subject to change.
- Health Care – all international students who are enrolled in one or more credit hours are required to maintain SMU Health Insurance as a condition of your enrollment. International students must enroll* in the student health insurance plan unless they have a special waiver personally granted by the Student Health Center staff. *This does not have to be done at the time of your application, but must be done prior to registering for classes.