SMU Guildhall seeks to admit students with a strong academic background, a passion for games, and the potential to become professionals and future leaders in the video game development industry.
Applications for Fall 2023 enrollment will open on September 1, 2022 with the following application deadlines:
- December 1, 2022 (early)
- February 15, 2023 (regular)
- March 15, 2023 (extended)
- April 15, 2023 (final)
SMU Guildhall utilizes rolling admission dates in order to allow applicants ample time to work on their portfolio submissions. However, our cohorts fill up very quickly, so we recommend applying as early as possible.
Contact us if you have questions about admissions or our application process.
Check it off!
Need help keeping track of where you are in the process? Use our helpful application checklist.
Master of Interactive Technology (MIT) Degree:
Baccalaureate degree — From a regionally accredited institution of higher learning, with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.000 (on a 4.000 scale).
Video Essay — Describe your motivation, interests, life experiences, and biggest challenge overcome as a creative person related to your desire to pursue a professional career in game development, uploaded to our online portfolio site. Applicants should explain why one of their portfolio pieces is a good/interesting/skillful piece of work. The applicant must be shown in the video speaking to the camera for some or all of the essay. *An applicant to the production specialization should also describe their understanding of the role of a video game producer and why they believe they would be well-suited to the role, including examples demonstrating leadership skills used in a team environment.
References — Upload contact information for two references to our online portfolio site. These should be non-family members who can attest to your aptitude and skill level, such as past professors, supervisors, or employers. We will only contact your references should we have questions about your application and background.
All undergraduate transcripts — An official .pdf version can be emailed from your undergraduate institution to the admission office if your institution offers that option, or your official sealed transcripts may be mailed to:
PO Box #750309
Dallas TX 75275
Portfolio — Consists of examples and/or assignments that showcase your aptitude and preparation. More information >>
- Standardized tests such as the GED, SAT and GRE are optional, but may be submitted. (Copies are acceptable.)
International students are required to submit test scores from an internationally recognized English language test, such as the TOEFL or IELTS English proficiency tests, if the applicant is from a country where the predominant language of instruction is not English. A score of at least 550 (paper test) or 80 (computer test) is required on the TOEFL for admission consideration. A score of 6.5 or higher is required on the IELTS for admission consideration. More information >>
Professional Certificate in Digital Game Development:
Admission to the certificate program does not require a bachelor's degree. You must submit all requirements above except for the requirement of a minimum GPA and/or a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning. Those who have already earned a certificate from SMU Guildhall may apply for "Admission with Advanced Standing" into the MIT program to continue the pursuit of their master's degree if they meet all academic requirements for admission to the degree program.
*Note that the graduate professional certificate program is not offered in the production specialization
For International Students:
- English Language Proficiency — International students are required to submit test scores from an internationally recognized English language test, such as the TOEFL or IELTS English proficiency tests, if the applicant is from a country where the predominant language of instruction is not English. A score of at least 550 (paper test) or 80 (computer test) is required on the TOEFL for admission consideration. A score of 6.5 or higher is required on the IELTS for admission consideration.
- Visas — For students requiring a U.S. Visa, it is mandatory that your certification of funds be completed and returned with your SMU Guildhall application:
- Health Care – all international students who are enrolled in one or more credit hours are required to maintain SMU Health Insurance as a condition of your enrollment. International students must enroll* in the student health insurance plan prior to registering for classes unless they have a special waiver personally granted by the Student Health Center staff. *This does not have to be done at the time of your application, but must be done prior to registering for classes.
In reviewing your application, the admission committee looks for a good academic and personal match between student and institution, and seeks to identify students who will best benefit from and contribute to the SMU Guildhall community in a variety of ways within and beyond the classroom. On average, once we have received your application and transcripts, it will take our admission committee approximately 15 business days to render an admission decision. You will receive that decision via email.