Skip to main content
SMU requires immediate shelter when a SMU Alert is issued, or authorized personnel direct you to do so. Departments are responsible to ensure all people in their building are aware of the need to shelter.
- Know when there is a threat for severe weather; find a trusted source for your weather information, whether a smartphone app, social media, a website, television or radio.
- Be aware of where you may take shelter in any of the buildings you regularly spend time.
- Go into a building
- Move away from glass windows, exterior walls and doors
- Go to the lowest possible level in a building
- Exception: if the building has no basement and the ground level of the building is a large glass area. In this case you may be safer on a floor without as much glass
- Move to hallways that are at the center of the building, or designated Tornado Shelter Areas
- Move to restrooms without an exterior wall