New Employee Orientation Checklist for Faculty
Please note that all completed forms mentioned in the Checklist should be returned to the Department of Human Resources via one of the following:
Southern Methodist University
Department of Human Resources - New Faculty P.O. Box 750232
Dallas TX 75275-0232
Scan and email to: NewFaculty@smu.edu|
Fax: 214-768-2295 Attn: New Faculty
Before the first day of the month in which contract begins:
HR will send instructions for completing new hire paperwork prior to arriving on campus and registration instructions for New Employee Orientation (HR/Benefits Orientation) to attend upon arriving to campus.
On the first day of employment:
Federal law requires your completion of the Form I-9. Please bring your original, unexpired documents to Human Resources to complete the Form I-9 by your first day of employment. You are not eligible to begin work until the Form I-9 has been completed. Please make arrangements to complete your I-9 in person at:
6116 Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75206
Business Hours: 8:30 am-5:00 pm, Monday-Friday
Before the end of the first week of the month in which contract begins:
- Faculty Statement: acknowledging the employee has been provided with certain information pertinent to employment
Within 31 days of the first day of the month in which contract begins:
Benefits: Required Participation (see age restrictions)
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan (Age 36 or older)
- Emeriti Health Savings Account (Age 40 or older mandatory pre-tax contribution, under age 40 optional post tax contribution)
Benefits: Optional Participation
- If enrolling dependents, please review the Dependent Eligibility requirements.
- Benefits elections for the following benefits are made through my.SMU.edu> Self Service> Benefits> Benefits Enrollment.
- Health and Wellness Plans
- Flex Spending Account - Health Care and/or Dependent Care
- Health Savings Account
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Long-Term Care Insurance: If you wish to purchase Long-Term Care Insurance, choose the Long-Term Care tab and follow the instructions to apply for coverage.
- Wellpower Wellness Program (benefit eligible faculty/staff): create your personal profile - start earning credits!
Within 90 days of the first day of the month in which contract begins:
New Faculty will be notified by email from Lawroom when the following training tutorials are assigned and ready to be accessed:
- Harassment and Discrimination Prevention; complete the tutorial via Law Room; allow approximately up to 90 minutes
- SMU Program for the Protection of Minors: complete the tutorial via Law Room; allow approximately 60 minutes
- Data Security and Privacy: complete the tutorial via Law Room; allow approximately 30 minutes
- SMU Live Responsibly: review the webpage
Tools for Faculty Managers
- TIMEaccess Training for those who will manage non-exempt (hourly) employees
- New Manager Orientation: New Managers may participate in this optional orientation series to learn the tools and resources available to them in their new role.
Questions may be directed to the following:
Benefits-Total Compensation: BenefitsU@smu.edu
Orientation-Professional Development: DevelopU@smu.edu