SMU’s health benefits provider, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX), is providing coverage for at-home COVID-19 tests, as now required by the federal government.
Here is what you need to know:
• The over the counter (OTC) diagnostic tests must be FDA-authorized.
• Costs are covered up to $12 per test from an in-network pharmacy or through a direct-to-consumer shipping program. (Benefit eligible members can order COVID-19 tests directly through a vendor partner, such as Walgreens and other major pharmacy chains.)
• An extensive network of participating pharmacies (more than 65,000) is available under this BCBSTX coverage.
• No prescription or health assessment from a provider is required.
• Up to eight (8) tests are allowed per covered member, every 30 days.
• Coverage is effective through the end of the federal public health emergency
IMPORTANT: Some pharmacies may offer tests in the regular store shelves, not behind the counter where prescriptions are filled and where pharmacists are accustomed to processing insurance.
To purchase the at-home test without having to file a reimbursement claim, check with your pharmacy and be sure to bring your BCBSTX card with you. Otherwise, if you purchase at the main checkout counter, you will need to save the receipt, and file a claim for reimbursement (form below). OTC tests purchased prior to January 15, 2022, are not in scope and will not be reimbursed.
If you order your test online from an in-network pharmacy, you can file a claim by using the form below: