Auto Insurance

SMU insures University-Controlled Vehicles, which includes SMU-owned and leased vehicles, as well as courtesy vehicles and those rented on university business. University-Controlled Vehicles must be used with the proper permission of the department responsible for the vehicle and the driver must meet the Fleet Safety Policy requirements, including having completed the required Engaged Driving training..

Coverage provided includes damage to a University-Controlled Vehicle, damage to the other car(s), damage to other property, and medical or death claims. Coverage has a $1,000 deductible which is the responsibility of the department which controls the vehicle.

Rental Vehicles

Rental car reservations should be booked using the company’s preferred providers through Concur. The University maintains a comprehensive automobile liability insurance policy to cover bodily injury and property damage liabilities arising out of the use of rented vehicles being driven on behalf of SMU. Therefore, authorized employees traveling on University-related business should decline any insurance coverage offered by the rental car company. The University will not reimburse the costs of collision damage insurance unless approved by the Office of Risk Management. The University will not reimburse the costs of collision damage insurance unnecessarily acquired from rental companies. When renting a vehicle, the traveler must not accept the fuel option and is required to refuel rental cars per each rental locations’ refill requirements prior to returning the car in order to minimize cost.

When renting a vehicle in foreign countries, travelers must always accept the insurance offered by the rental car company. This is an exception to the general rules listed above.

Personal Vehicles

The University does not insure personal vehicles used for University business. Personal vehicle insurance is the sole responsibility of the vehicle's owner. All drivers must maintain insurance in accordance with state law.

Please refer to University Policy 3.8, Use of University-Provided and Personal Vehicles, for guidance regarding reimbursement and use of personal vehicles for University business.

Sub-Compact Utility Vehicles (SCUVs) or Golf Carts

Procedures for SMU authorization of owned, leased, borrowed, or contractor-owned SCUVs can be found on the SCUV Safety website.

15-Passenger Vans

The use of 15-passenger vans is strongly discouraged due to the unique risks present with these vehicles. Please contact the Office of Risk Management in the event your department is considering using one to discuss alternatives.