Follow Your Passion. Build a Career. Protect Everyone.
Businesses and governments around the world need trained cybersecurity professionals to protect them from threats large and small. That means if you have the right skills, you can go anywhere—whether it's moving within your current career or moving on to a different one. SMU's online Master of Science in Cybersecurity will provide you with the skills to be tomorrow's cybersecurity leader and defender.
We create cybersecurity professionals who are
We connect you to the SMU community and professionals from leading companies around the world.
Get practical skills from world-class SMU faculty you need to make an impact as a leader.
Our students are passionate about taking their careers to the next level while protecting their businesses and communities.
What You'll Learn
A Master's in Cybersecurity from SMU will prepare you to be a leader in the ﬁeld. The courses will immerse you in topics with profound implications for businesses and national security.
SMU’s Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity at a Glance:
Key Application Dates and Deadlines
February 17, 2020
Priority 1 Application Deadline
Application Fee: $0
April 6, 2020
Priority 2 Application Deadline
May 4, 2020
Application Fee: $75
Dr. Frank Coyle
Dr. Coyle is a Senior Lecturer and Program Director in the Computer Science Department. He has over 40 years of technical experience in computing. He received his Ph.D. from Southern Methodist University, M.S. from The Georgia Institute of Technology, and B.S. from Fordham University. Dr. Coyle’s career has spanned both academia and the private sector, and focuses on software engineering, programming languages, and artificial intelligence.
The Online Experience
SMU's Online Master's in Cybersecurity will give you the tools you need to be successful—no relocation needed. As a student in the program, you are a full member of the SMU community with access to high-quality curriculum, faculty, and resources.
Live, Online Cybersecurity Classes
Interact “face-to-face” with classmates and instructors in small, collaborative weekly live classes via our online platform.
Our coursework includes engaging video lectures, quizzes, case studies and more you can access anywhere, anytime.
24/7 Accessible Mobile App
Access online resources—like notes, scheduling and lectures—from anywhere with a phone or tablet even if you’re oﬄine.
Online Networking and Collaboration
Collaborate with classmates, talk with professors, and connect with the Cybersecurity@SMU community through our online platform.
Want to know more about the Online Master’s in Cybersecurity?
- Bachelor's degree in statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, engineering or other quantitative disciplines
- Experience with a programming language (R, JAVA, C++, Python, etc.)
- At least two courses completed in calculus (i.e., Calculus I & II)
- GRE required *
* Exception: A minimum of two years of relevant work experience in a technology field will waive the GRE requirement and may substitute for other prerequisite requirements pending faculty approval.
Please use this checklist as your guide for ensuring all your application materials are complete.
- Complete the graduate application
Fill out all required fields and submit the online application.
- Pay the application fee (Priority 1 discount $0 until 2/17/2020)
After submitting your application, you will be able to pay this fee from your online application page. Your application will not be processed until the fee is paid.
- Order transcripts (upload unofficial transcripts to application)
Request from the Registrar of each college or university attended that an official transcript of your work be sent directly to the address below or if you are submitting official digital transcripts please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ATTN: Allison Sibbitt
SMU GO Application Processing
PO Box 750275
Dallas TX 75275-0275
- GRE test scores (provide on application, these will be verified - use SMU-Global and Online code 4459)
*GRE test scores may be waived if applicant has at least two years of industry experience in a related field for the SMU Cybersecurity Master’s Program. Must submit updated résumé.
- Letters of Recommendation
For master's degree applicants, the recommendation letters are optional and not required. If you wish to have them considered, please have the person writing your letter of recommendation email it to email@example.com.
Letters of recommendation should be written by current or past professors or employment supervisors.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores must be submitted (provide on application, will be verified)
If English is not your native language:
- For the TOEFL, we require a minimum overall score of 80 out of 120
- For the IELTS, we require a minimum overall score of 6.5
- TOEFL or IELTS tests are waived if you received a degree from an American university
- Professional Résumé (upload to application)
- Statement of Purpose (upload to application)
$1,704 per hour. 30 hours of core and approved elective courses are needed for completion of the program. This price is good for the 2019-2020 Academic Year (Fall 2019 - Summer 2020).
- Special pricing available for military veterans
- Special corporate rates are available for companies enrolling multiple students in the program
- Payment Plan Options available
If you plan to apply for VA benefits, learn more here.
If you plan to apply for financial aid to help fund your studies at SMU, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The SMU school code is 003613. Be sure to sign your FAFSA application electronically upon submission.