The impact of the research we conduct ripples through our fields of study, our community, our economy, our country and throughout the world. It has a significant impact on the quality of students and faculty we attract to the Lyle School.
- We choose to focus our efforts on topics in which our faculty have the expertise to be truly excellent.
- We support innovative new research through seed funding that helps bridge the gap between ideas and first external funding.
- We strive to combine our collective expertise and seek out collaborators to enable novel and important research, which we are uniquely situated to jointly accomplish.
- We train Ph.D. students to be outstanding academics, as well as respected industry leaders.
- We partner with colleagues in other institutions to explore how our ideas may impact the world outside the boundaries of the University.
Through vigilant focus we will impact: the state-of-the-art in our chosen fields of research, the known best practices in engineering education, the bottom line in organizations in which our students and faculty are engaged, the global poor, the schools at which our students become professors, the pipeline of STEM-interested students, innovative new products, Dallas, healthcare policy, the security of our nation… the list goes on and on.
Research by Department
Centers & Institutes
Caruth Institute for Engineering Education
Empowering U.S. high school graduates with enthusiasm and knowledge to pursue the engineering careers required to compete in a global economy.
Darwin Deason Institute for Cyber Security
Advancing the science, policy, application and education of cyber security through basic and problem-driven, interdisciplinary research.
Hunt Institute for Engineering & Humanity
A national and international hub partnering with business leaders, academia, NGOs and government to develop solutions for local and global challenges.