- Ph.D. in Applied Computer Science, Wirtschafts universität Wien, Austria
Michael Hahsler is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at SMU Lyle. His research interests lie in the intersection of computer science, statistical methods, and combinatorial optimization with applications in artificial intelligence, machine learning, data mining, and data science.
He is the principal developer of several popular R data mining and machine learning extension packages. His research has been funded by NSF, NIH, and NIST.
Dr. Hahsler has published over 90 technical papers in peer-reviewed international journals and conference proceedings and has organized several workshops. He is a past secretary of the INFORMS Data Mining Section, and he currently serves as an associate editor of the Journal of Statistical Software and of the INFORMS Journal on Computing.
Honors and Awards
- 2021-2022 HOPE Professor of the Year Award nominee
- D Magazine’s D CEO Healthcare featured our diabetes research, 2020
- IBM's 2014 The Great Mind Challenge - Watson Edition, winning team
- Lyle Graduate Student Council Outstanding Faculty Award, Computer Science, 2011