- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago
- M.S. in Computer Science, Nanjing University
- B.S. in Computer Science, Nanjing University
Jia Zhang is serving as the Interim Chair of the Department of Computer Science at SMU Lyle. She is the Cruse C. and Marjorie F. Calahan Centennial Chair in Engineering, Professor of Department of Computer Science, with a courtesy appointment in the Department of Operations Research and Engineering Management. Her research interests emphasize the application of machine learning and information retrieval methods to tackle data science infrastructure problems, with a recent focus on scientific workflows, provenance mining, software discovery, knowledge graph, and interdisciplinary applications of all of these interests in the areas of earth science and healthcare. She has served as PI on federal grants worth over $5 Million.
Dr. Zhang has co-authored one textbook "Services Computing" and has published over 200 refereed journal papers, book chapters, and conference papers. Her research won two Best Paper awards at IEEE SCC (2011, 2017), and three Best Student Paper awards at IEEE ICWS (2014, 2018) and IEEE ICCC (2018). She also holds four US patents. Dr. Zhang has served as an associated editor of the IEEE TSC since 2008.
Prior to joining SMU, she was a faculty member at Carnegie Mellon University, Northern Illinois University, and Nanjing University, and worked in industry as a software architect.
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award (IEEE SCC 2011, IEEE SCC 2017)
- Best Student Paper Award (IEEE ICWS 2014, IEEE ICWS 2018, IEEE ICCC 2018)
- Program Chair-in-Chief (IEEE SERVICES 2021, 2022)
- Program Committee Chair (IEEE SCC 2020, IEEE ICWS 2019, IEEE CLOUD 2018, IEEE BigData Congress 2017)
- First Outstanding Service Award (IEEE Technical Committee on Services Computing, 2016)