Parking Permit Instructions
On the SMU campus, License Plate Recognition technology (LPR) and Virtual Permits have replaced all paper permits. LPR technology uses optical character recognition to automatically read license plate characters. SMU operates mobile LPR, which uses vehicle-mounted cameras to verify plates in all campus lots. Virtual permits are free of charge for CAPE instructors and students. This permit will allow you to park in any lot or garage listed on the campus parking map as parking for Student Commuters Permits.
If you park on campus without a virtual permit you will receive a parking citation with an associated $50 fine.
To request your Virtual Permit:
Please note: The Parking Services website is best viewed from a desktop web browser.
Use your CAPE ID (X00#### or T00####) in place of a Driver’s License #
- Click on “Get Permits”
- Select the “[TERM] Continuing & Professional Education” permit, click “Next”
- On “Select Your Vehicles for Permit” click on “Add Vehicle”
- Fill out your vehicle information, then click “Next”
- Click on the checkbox next to your vehicle
- Complete the process and Logout. You do not need to print the pass.
- The parking garage entry code will be sent to you in a course reminder email from SMU CAPE.
Please note: the Virtual Permit is assigned to only the vehicle listed. If you change vehicles, please be sure to add your new vehicle to your existing permit. If your course or program lasts more than one semester, you will need to request a new permit each term. If you previously created a parking account, skip to the login page.
Term Effective Dates
- Summer 2023: 05/20/23 – 08/31/23
Fall 2023: 09/01/23 – 12/31/23
Spring 2024: 01/01/24 – 05/31/23