How To Report a Crime

There are several ways to report a crime on campus.  You can contact the SMU PD directly and request an officer or you can use the “Silent Witness” program if you wish to remain anonymous.


1.      If your situation requires an immediate police or medical response, call 911 immediately.

2.      If you would like to report a crime and speak with an officer;

a. Call SMU PD Communications at (214) 768-3388 for non-emergency reports

b. If the crime is in progress call 911 (from a cell phone call (214-768-3333 to reach SMU PD 911).

c. The Communications Officer will obtain brief information such as your name, address and a phone number where you can be reached.

d. When you call SMU PD, an officer will be sent to meet with you to take a report.

e. Calls for service are generally dispatched to an officer as they are received; however calls are prioritized by the urgency of the situation. Because of this prioritization, on rare occasions you may have to wait several minutes for an officer to be available to take your report.

3.      If you wish to remain anonymous Silent Witness is a reporting process that allows the caller to leave information regarding suspicious or criminal activity while remaining anonymous.  Upon submitting the form below, an email is sent directly to the police department.  This email is checked daily.  This format should be utilized to report information to the police regarding possible criminal/suspicious activity, which includes illegal drugs or illegal use of prescription medications, weapons, theft, underage drinking, assault, sexual assault, burglary, etc.

4.      If your situation requires an immediate response, do not submit the Silent Witness form. Call the SMU Police directly at 214-768-3333 or dial 911 for emergency situations.