Co-Director of Civil Clinic, Director Consumer Law Project and Associate Professor of Law, SMU
(214) 768-2578Download CV | Download Bio | Website
Professor Spector joined the faculty in 1995 as Co-Director of the SMU Civil Clinic where she continues to supervise students representing clients in state and federal courts. She also teaches Consumer Law and is a recipient of the University Golden Mustang Teaching Award, the Law School’s Don Smart Directed Research Award and Women in Law’s Faculty Appreciation Award. She writes and speaks in the areas of consumer credit, landlord-tenant law and clinical legal education. For her project on consumer debt collection litigation published in the Virginia Law & Business Revie
w (2011), Professor Spector was honored with the Bellow Scholar Award from the AALS Clinical Section.
A graduate of the Cardozo School of Law with honors, Professor Spector served as a law clerk to the Honorable Jerry Buchmeyer, United States District Judge for the Northern District of Texas before joining the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld as an associate. Prior to joining the law school faculty, she was an adjunct instructor of Legal Writing and Research, a visiting supervising attorney with the SMU Legal Clinic and a field instructor with the SMU/Legal Services of North Texas externship program. Outside of the Law School, Professor Spector received the Dallas Bar Association Pro Bono Award and has served on a number of university, professional and community committees and boards.
- J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
- B.A., Simmons College
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- Presenter, Integerating Empirical Research into the Clinic Curriculum, Teaching Consumer Law Conference, Santa Fe, New Mexico, May 30-31, 2014
- Presenter, Can Empirical Research in our Clinics Help us Become Better Clinicians? (with Judith Fox and Michael Gregory), AALS, 37th Annual Conference on Clinical Legal Education, Chicago, IL, April 29, 2014
- Public Comments on Proposed Rule by Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Debt Collection (Regulation F), February 28, 2014
- Panelist, Federal Trade Commission, Texas Forum on Identity Theft, Dallas, TX, January 15, 2014.
- Appointment, Promotion to Professor of Law by action of the Board of Trustees, May 9, 2014 (effective September 1, 2014).