Membership Fees and Dues
Policy number: 4.10
Policy section: Business & Finance
Revised Date: January 2, 2019
Definitions of capitalized terms are set forth in Appendix A.
2. Policy Statement
It is the policy of the University to provide for University representation in outside organizations if the representation is beneficial to the University and the cost of membership is within budgetary limitations.
The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines for institutional and individual memberships in professional societies, institutes, associations, and clubs.
This policy applies to all University Personnel approved for memberships. This policy applies to initial membership fees and annual dues.
5. Institutional Memberships
- The University holds institutional memberships in:
- certain national associations (e.g., The American Council on Education, The Southern Association of Colleges and Universities);
- certain cooperative associations (e.g., Independent Colleges and Universities of Texas); and
- certain community associations (e.g., the Dallas Chamber of Commerce).
- In those cases where the number of individual memberships is limited or where only a single individual is designated for participation, the Vice President for the appropriate area for such association will make such appointments directly or, when indicated, will consult with the appropriate Dean or another Vice President in making such appointments.
6. Professional Societies, Institutes and Associations
- Individual membership in professional societies, institutes, and associations must be essential to the conduct of the proposed member’s office or the proper performance of the member’s University responsibilities, or be otherwise beneficial to the University.
- The President or his or her designee(s) approves membership organizations deemed to be appropriate for University participation. A list of approved organizations is available on the website of the Office of Budgets and Finance.
- Payment of individual membership fees and approved dues to approved professional societies or other approved professional groups must be properly authorized by the financial business manager of the member’s University Division prior to payment or reimbursement.
7. Service, Social, Athletic, and Country Clubs
- The University does not permit payment of personal membership fees and dues to service, social, athletic, or country clubs except when the membership serves the University from the standpoint of public relations or community responsibility.
- The President of the University must approve each club membership.
- The Office of Business and Finance will review all approved club memberships to determine appropriate tax reporting to the member.
- All club memberships and expenses must be included in the budget of the member’s University Division. Documentation and approval of the business purpose of the expense will be required for reimbursement or payment by the University. The University will not pay or reimburse employees for personal expenses incurred.
Questions about this policy may be directed to the Vice President for Business and Finance.
Appendix A: Definitions
“University Division” means each School, College, division, office, department or program.
“University Personnel” means faculty, staff, students, volunteers and contractors.
Revised: January 2, 2019
Adopted: July 9, 2012