University Provided Vehicles and Automobile Allowances
Policy number: 4.11
Policy section: Business & Finance
Revised Date: August 16, 2021
Definitions of capitalized terms are set forth in Appendix A.
2. Policy Statement
It is the policy of the University to provide vehicles or automobile allowances to assist in the completion of necessary University business functions.
The purpose of this policy is to establish the requirements for the provision of vehicles or automobile allowances for University business purposes.
This policy applies to all University Divisions and all University Personnel assigned a University vehicle or provided with an automobile allowance for University business purposes.
5. University Provided Vehicles
- The University may elect to provide vehicles to individuals to perform their required job functions. Provided vehicles may be University-owned or leased, or courtesy cars provided by dealerships. All costs associated with these vehicles are the budgetary responsibility of the University Divisions using the vehicles, including but not limited to, all automobile insurance premiums, deductibles, registration and inspection fees, repair and maintenance, and gasoline.
- The University will include as part of compensation the value of the use of the automobile, consistent with Internal Revenue Service requirements. Employees who drive University-provided vehicles will not receive an automobile allowance or mileage reimbursement. Reimbursement for parking and tolls incurred in the course of University business maybe requested.
- All individuals operating a University-provided vehicle will comply with University Policy 11.5, Fleet Safety.
6. Automobile Allowance
- Employees who must frequently use their personal vehicles for business purposes may apply for an automobile allowance.
- Applications must be approved by the immediate supervisor(s) and the appropriate Vice President(s) or President. The approved request must be submitted to the Payroll Department for payment and proper tax reporting.
- Automobile allowances must be authorized annually at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- Employees who receive an automobile allowance will not receive mileage reimbursement or use of a University-provided vehicle except as described in University Policy 4.7, 10.c.
- The University does not insure personal vehicles.
Questions about this policy may be directed to the Vice President for Business and Finance.
Appendix A: Definitions
“University Division” means each School, College, division, office, department or program.
“University Personnel” means faculty, staff, students, volunteers and contractors.
Revised: August 16, 2021
Adopted: January 1, 2010