Policy number: 4.13
Policy section: Business & Finance
Revised Date: January 2, 2019
1. Policy Statement
It is the policy of the University that all employees receive appropriate pay, including overtime pay when required.
The purpose of this policy is to provide for compliance with applicable laws and regulations, clarify institutional expectations, promote operational efficiencies, reduce institutional risk, and enhance the University’s mission.
This policy applies to all University employees.
4. Non-Exempt Employees
- The University pays overtime to non-exempt employees for all hours worked on behalf of the University in excess of 40 hours per week, in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act. The University work week begins on Saturday at 12:00AM and ends on the following Friday at 11:59PM.
- Overtime hours must be authorized in advance by the employee’s manager and recorded on the employee’s time record. See University Policy 4.12, Employee Time Records.
- Although not required by law, the University includes official University holiday hours as hours worked when calculating overtime pay. Other paid and unpaid leave hours are not considered hours worked and, therefore, are not included in the calculation of overtime pay.
- Overtime hours are paid at 1½ times the employee’s regular rate of pay.
5. Exempt Employees
Exempt employees receive no additional monetary compensation for hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week.
6. QuestionsQuestions about this policy may be directed to the Vice President for Business and Finance.
Revised: January 2, 2019
Adopted: June 1, 1994