Cancelling After Move-in
After residence hall opening & move in, students may only cancel their housing application & license agreement as follows.
Withdrawal from SMU during the semester
If leaving SMU, the resident student must:
- Contact the Office of Student Success & Retention to withdraw from classes and complete required paperwork (Leave of Absence or Formal Exit).
- Notify RLSH and check out of their assigned room.
- Prorated charges will apply in accordance with the Bursar’s withdrawal/cancellation policy, based on date of departure/check out.
Petition for Release from Housing License Agreement
Residents who wish to end their housing but will remain enrolled may petition for release from their housing obligation. The petition process is designed for students who have encountered unforeseeable circumstances which occurred after move in which now prohibit them from residing in their assigned space.
- Student must submit a completed the Petition for Release form with documentation to RLSH.
- Submitting a Petition for Release does not mean that a release will be granted.
- Petitions are reviewed by the Housing Appeals committee on a rolling basis, typically twice per month.
- The Housing Appeals committee will assess the circumstances presented by the student in the petition and whether there are viable options available for providing alternative on-campus housing.
- If released, the student is notified by email of the outcome, the resulting financial obligation and information about a check out deadline.
Students who move out without being a release are obligated for any and all remaining portions of their housing agreement.
Withdrawal after Fall Semester
Students who decide to leave SMU after the Fall semester must move out at the end of the Fall term when the residential communities close.
- Contact the Office of Student Success & Retention to complete required paperwork ( Leave of Absence or Formal Exit) and withdraw from Spring classes (if applicable.)
- Notify RLSH and check out of their assigned room prior to the Fall semester closing date.
- Students who decide to withdraw after the residential communities are closed must make arrangements with RLSH to move out. Cancellation penalties will apply for cancellations occurring after the Fall closing date, as outlined in the SMU Housing License Agreement.