After Hours Care
Nurse Advice Line for After Hours
The Dr. Bob Smith Health Center has an after hours Nurse Advice Line available for students. Any time the Health Center is closed, you can call our regular telephone number (214) 768-2141 and select option #2, to speak with a registered nurse who will assist you in obtaining the appropriate care.
For COVID-19 emergencies such as trouble breathing, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, new confusion, inability to wake or stay awake, bluish lips, or face, call 911.
After Hours Counseling
The Dr. Bob Smith Health Center provides a counseling line for students to use any time they need it. Students may call Counseling Services at (214) 768-2277, option 2 to speak to a trained counselor 24/7.
Where to go for Emergency or Urgent Care
When the Health Center is closed, urgent or emergency medical care is available from urgent care facilities and hospital emergency departments in the nearby community. If you have a critical medical situation, go straight to the nearest EMERGENCY ROOM or call 911. If your symptoms are not life threatening, you should seek care from an Urgent Care facility. This would be most cost-effective and provide you with timely care.
Local Emergency Rooms
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas: 8200 Walnut Hill Ln., Dallas, TX 214-345-6789, Emergency 214-345-7885*
- Trusted ER: 6215 Hillcrest Ave, Dallas, TX 469-868-6322
- Baylor Hospital: 3500 Gaston Ave, Dallas, TX 214-820-0111, Emergency 214-820-2501*
- Lakewood Emergency: 6101 E Mockingbird Ln, Dallas, TX 469-414-3552
- Baylor Scott and White Hospital-White Rock: 9440 Poppy Dr. Dallas, TX 214-324-6100, Emergency 214-324-6111*
- Medical City Hospital: 7777 Forest Ln., Dallas, TX 972-566-7000, Emergency 972-566-7200*
- Parkland Hospital (County): 5200 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 214-590-8000*
- UT Southwestern Clements Hospital: 6201 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 214-633-4700*
- Methodist Dallas Medical Center: 1441 N. Beckley Ave. Dallas, TX. 214-947-8181*
*NOTE: Hospitals with an asterisk are covered by the SMU student insurance.
Local Urgent Care Centers
- Sinai Urgent Care 3414 Milton Ave, Dallas, TX 469-522-3995* (Sinai Urgent Care is located in Snider Plaza, in walking distance from campus.)
- City Doc (Inwood Village) 5301 W. Lovers Lane, STE. 109 Dallas, TX 214-352-7800*
- PrimaCare 6350 Mockingbird Ln, Dallas, TX 214-828-0448*
- CareNow Urgent Care 4844 Greenville Ave, Dallas, TX 214-295-9410*
- CareNow Urgent Care 4617 N Central Expy, Dallas, TX 469-804-9289*
*NOTE: Urgent Care Centers with an asterisk are covered by the SMU student insurance and have COVID-19 testing available.