For rising 11th & 12th grade students, Residential
The residential camp is designed for rising juniors and seniors in high school to explore college readiness for entering majors in engineering or other STEM disciplines: Civil and Environmental (CEE), Computer Science (CS), Electrical and Computer (ECE), Operations Research and Engineering Management (OREM) and Mechanical Engineering (ME).
Campers will spend some of their time in the Deason Innovation Gym (DIG), the Lyle School’s maker space that is a combination of a design studio, a machine shop, and a garage focusing on group and individual projects. The 1,200 square foot Gym houses 3D-printers, a laser cutter, vinyl cutter, power tools, and white boards, all the equipment needed to further interest in an engineering, designing, or STEM career.
While on campus, campers also have the benefit of experiencing several aspects of college life, including top-level educational facilities, dorms, and independent living. SMU Lyle undergraduate students and alumni of our partner schools serve as camp counselors, mentors and stay in the dorms with the campers. The 5-day residential camp has a capacity of 20 students and will include the following:
- Room and all meals provided with breakfast in SMU Dining Hall
- Project and skill-building workshops to experience engineering, mathematical, and scientific practices and core conceptual frameworks
- A real-world challenge to prototype
- Develop effective analytical and presentation skills embedded in collaborative Engineering Design Processes
- Campus and Lyle School of Engineering tours
- A meeting with the Director of Recruiting and Retention for the Lyle School (if interested)
- The students will present their project on the final day to their families and friends, and staff and faculty of the Lyle School
Girls Camp | Date: July 18-22, 2022
Boys Camp | Date: July 11-15, 2022