SMU Alert is Southern Methodist University’s system for alerting students, staff and faculty in the event of an emergency or threat on campus. The following systems may be utilized to communicate emergency information and procedures to campus constituents:
• Outdoor Sirens (controlled by University Park)
• Indoor Notification System (Main Campus Only)
• Email notification to SMU email account (email@example.com)
• Text message to cell phone (sender short codes include 226787, 67283, or 78015)
• Audio message to a cell phone or other telephone
• @SMUAware on Twitter and Facebook
• SMU Information Line (214) 768-INFO
All initial messages will provide a brief description of the emergency type and initial actions. When additional information is available a text may be sent to direct students, staff and faculty with further instructions. The information you receive may caution you to avoid certain areas of the campus, let you know if classes are canceled due to an emergency, or provide vital information on what actions you need to take if you are on campus during such a situation.
Notifications are given to the entire community due to the size of the campus, the frequency of movement within the campus by community members, and the concept of keeping the entire community aware of significant emergencies.
Additionally, a SMU Warning or SMU Advisory may be issued utilizing the same process used for SMU Alerts.
- A SMU Warning is notification of Clery crime(s) that occurred on campus Clery geography and is considered by the institution to represent a serious or continuing threat to students and employees,
- A SMU Advisory may be issued when an incident or crime has occurred and may affect members of the campus community, but an emergency notification or timely warning is not required.
If you receive a SMU Alert, SMU Warning, or SMU Advisory please share the information immediately.