Edward T. Rincón
President, Rincón & Associates LLC
Edward T. Rincón is president of Rincón & Associates LLC, a privately-owned research company that provides research and consultative support to organizations that seek to understand diverse communities in domestic and global markets. He received his master’s in School Psychology and doctorate in Educational Psychology from The University of Texas at Austin with a concentration in survey and experimental research methods, psychometrics, and statistical analysis.
He has taught various courses at area academic institutions, including Statistics and Hispanic Marketing at Southern Methodist University; Mass Communications Research at The University of North Texas; and Survey Research Methods at The University of Texas at Dallas. In addition, he has provided workshops to the public and community organizations on selected topics such as retrieving and analyzing Census data, principles of Hispanic marketing, designing effective questionnaires for diverse audiences, data analysis with SPSS, and designing effective visual presentations of research data.
Dr. Rincón’s scholarly interests include survey and polling methodology, demographic analysis, measurement bias, and qualitative research with a focus on multicultural populations. His perspectives have often challenged high-stakes measurement systems utilized by The Nielsen Company, aptitude testing in college admissions, competency testing in Texas schools, and affirmative action programs in public contracting. His research studies and perspectives have been cited in national and regional publications, including The Wall Street Journal, Business Week, Advertising Age, Forbes.com, Ad Week, Broadcasting and Cable, The Dallas Morning News, The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, The Miami Herald, Multi-Channel News, National Public Radio, Restaurants & Institutions, and others.
Over the past 35 years, Dr. Rincón has consulted with a broad variety of private and public organizations, and has testified before governmental bodies and court cases as an expert witness. In the political arena, his clients have included Pete Sessions for Congress Campaign, Consortium of Public Broadcasters 2000 Presidential campaign poll, Zan Holmes for Mayor Campaign poll, Eastfield College bond election campaign, UT-Arlington and SMU political poll of perceptions of immigrants, and a WFAA political opinion poll concerning race relations in Dallas. In the non-political arena, some of his clients have included Proctor & Gamble, The Sherwin-Williams Company, Texas Rangers, Texas Instruments, DFW International Airport, Verizon Information Systems, Educational Testing Service, Coca Cola North America, Circle K/Tosco Marketing, Pepsi Cola, Dr Pepper/Cadbury North America, KERA, WFAA, The Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, The Atlanta-Journal Constitution, The Palm Beach Post, ABC and CBS Network Television, City of Dallas, Dallas Zoo, State of Texas, State of North Carolina Library Association, Comerica Bank, Catholic Diocese of Dallas, General Baptist Convention of Texas, Dallas Area Rapid Transit, Trial Psychology Institute, Parkland Health & Hospital System, Baylor Health Care System, and Children’s Medical Center Dallas.
Education and Honors
- Ph.D., Educational Psychology, The University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., Educational Psychology, The University of Texas at Austin
- B.S., Psychology, Southern Methodist University
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- Developed SERENITY® -- a system that uses an innovative multicultural survey response process (patent pending) to improve the quality of survey data in diverse communities.
- Developed Populus USA® -- an iPhone and iPad app that provides easy access to decennial and annual Census demographic information for the U.S., states, metropolitan areas, counties, and places.
- Rincón, E. T. The Culture of Research (Paramount Publishers, scheduled release for 2015)
- Rincón, E. T. and Acevedo, B. A. Hispanic Texas: A Sourcebook for Policymaking, The Tomás River Policy Center, Claremont, California, 1989.
- Rincón, E. T. Aptitude Testing, Higher Education, and Minority Groups: A Review of Issues and Research, in A. Barón, Jr. (Ed.), Explorations in Chicano Psychology, Praeger Publishers, 1981.
Recent Articles, Viewpoints and News Coverage:
- Natalie Postgate and Mark Curriden. “Shortsighted Business Law Firms Ignoring Hispanic Business Growth.” www.Texaslawbook.net, January 21, 2014.
- Natalie Postgate and Mark Curriden. “D-FW law firms employ few Hispanic lawyers, study finds.” Dallas Morning News, February 17, 2014.
- Larkin, G.L., Rivera, H., Hongzhi, X.U., Rincon, E., Beautrais A.L. Community responses to a suicidal crisis: Implications for suicide prevention. Suicide Life-Threatening Behavior. 2011 Feb; 41(1): 79-86.
- Werlinger, K.D., Guevara, I.L., Gonzalez, C.M., Rincon, E.T., Caetano, R., Haley, R.W., and Pandya, A.G. Prevalence of self-diagnosed melasma among premenopausal Latino Women in Dallas and Fort Worth, Tex, Archives of Dermatology, Vol. 143, March 2007.
- Rincón, Edward T. “Raising the bar in health-related research.” www.HispanicAd.com, May 20, 2014.
- Rincón, Edward T. “Beware: Univision aims to be one-stop shop for marketers.” www.adage.com, January 29, 2013.
- Rincón, Edward T. “Want to fix the diversity problem? Start with colleges.” www.adage.com, July 31, 2012.
- Rincón, Edward T. “Campaign strategists misfire on reaching Latino voters.” www.HispanicAd.com, July 16, 2012.
- Rincón, Edward T. “Univision in English? Finally, it gets in step with the Hispanic market.” www.adage.com, June 8, 2012.
- Lieback, Laura. “Serving Latinos the Walmart way.” www.HispanicRetail360.com, July 2011.
- Lambert, Kevin. “Hispanic market presents challenges, opportunities for retailers, developers.” Real Estate Law and Industry Report, July 26, 2011.
- Calkins, Laurel Brubaker. “Rising young Hispanics in Texas poised to pick up aging tab.” www.Bloomberg.com, February 17, 2011.
- Rincon, Edward T. “Asian growth is hot in Dallas/Fort Worth.” www.AsianWeek.com, July 21, 2009.
- Hume, Scott. “The New Hispanic Diner.” Restaurants & Institutions, April 15, 2008.
Syndicated Research Studies:
- Rincón, E. T. Legal Watch Dallas 2011.
- Rincón, E. T. Dallas/Fort Worth Multicultural Trendline Study 2008.
- Rincón, E. T. Dallas/Fort Worth Latino Trendline, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2011.
- Rincón, E. T. Dallas/Fort Worth Hispanic Consumer Survey, 1988-2001.
- Rincón, E. T. Health Watch: A Survey of Consumer Health Needs in Dallas County, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2006, 2009.
- Rincón, E. T. A Study of Hispanic Legal Needs, 1995.
- Rincón, E. T. Mexico: A Market Profile, 1994.
- Rincón, E. T. “New Test Reveals Your Latino IQ.” White Paper Series, November 16, 2013.
- Rincón, E. T. “A Research Primer for Spanish-language Newspapers.” White Paper Series, August 3, 2007.
- Rincón, E. T. “The Dream Act: A Win-Win Situation.” White paper prepared for the League of Latin American Citizens (LULAC), April 6, 2006.
- Rincón, E. T. “Measurement Bias: The Value of a Second Opinion.” White paper prepared for the National Latino Media Coalition, June 3, 2004.
- Understanding the Marketing Process. Presentation to the Texas Association Mexican-American Chambers of Commerce (TAMACC), Dallas TX, September 2007.
- Is Healthcare Color Blind? Presentation to Methodist Dallas Medical Center, Dallas TX, September 2007.
- Hispanic Marketing, panel discussant in seminar for Dallas Advertising League, Dallas, Texas, September 2007.
- The Case for Multicultural Marketing. Presentation to the TNS Worldwide Sales Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, December 2006.
- Marketing to Hispanic Consumers: Ideas that Work. Presentation to the Nationwide Insurance Texas Operations Conference, Dallas TX, October 2006.
- Marketing to the Hispanic Consumer. Panel discussant in seminar on Hispanic Marketing, Greater Dallas Chamber of Commerce, Dallas, Texas, June 2006.
- The Need for a Second Opinion. Panel discussant in seminar on Accurately Measuring Hispanic Television and Radio Audiences, Texas Association of Broadcasters, Austin, Texas, August 2006.
- Lawyers and the Media: Making It into a Reporter’s Rolodex. Panel discussant in seminar sponsored by the Dallas Bar Association Minority Participation Committee, Belo Mansion, Dallas TX, May 5, 2006.
- Planning for Hispanic Growth. Presentation to the Texas Real Estate Council, Dallas TX, January 20, 2006.
- Marketing to Latinos. Presentation to the National Association of Women Business Owners, DFW Chapter, Dallas TX, October 17, 2005.
- The New Majority: Get Ready for the Latino Revolution. Moderator and presenter at Southwest Foodservice Expo, Dallas TX, June 27, 2005.
- Reaching and Serving Hispanic Audiences. Presentation to the Association for Communications Excellence in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Human and Life Sciences. San Antonio, Texas. June 1, 2005.
- Measuring Hispanic Audiences. Presentation to the Newspaper Association of America Annual Conference, Dallas TX, March 22, 2005.
- Planning for Hispanic Growth. Presentation to the Greater Dallas Planning Council, Dallas TX, September 23, 2004.
- The Importance of Legal Advertising on Television. Presentation to the Texas Bar Association Committee on Lawyer Advertising, Dallas, Texas, March 3, 2004.
- Hispanic Health Care. Presentation to the staff of The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas, June 2003.
- Marketing Health Care to the Hispanic Community. Presentation to the Regional Marketing & Business Development Meeting, Tenet Health System, Dallas TX, July 10, 2003.
- Ten Common Mistakes in Marketing to Hispanics. Presentation to the General Baptist Convention of Texas, Dallas, Texas, August 26, 2003.
Larkin, G.L., Zielinski, J.J., Rincon, E.T. and Weber, J.E. Childhood injury awareness: Are motor vehicles the most recognized vector? Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, 47th Annual Proceedings, September 2003.