Supporting Your Student

Parent and Families

Joining a fraternity and sorority is an exciting part of an undergraduate experience. We understand that any new commitment can create a range of questions, emotions, or the need for additional resources. The Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life provides guidance and support to council and chapter leadership, and works closely with campus partners and inter/national organizations to provide a well-rounded experience. If our office can assist in your student’s fraternity or sorority experience, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Caring Community Connections: A program that provides support to students who are experiencing challenges by identifying and linking them to appropriate resources.

SMU Counseling Services: Offers students a broad range of outpatient services while providing a confidential space.

Most chapters provide payment plans and scholarships to assist in covering membership costs. Students should reach out to organizations they are interested in find more detailed cost information. Below are cost ranges for each council:
  • Interfraternity Council: $900-2400 per semester
  • Multicultural Greek Council: $200-$600 per semester
  • National Pan-Hellenic Council: $300-$1500 new member fee plus local dues each semester (average is around $200)
  • Panhellenic Council: $1800-$3600 per semester
  • Panhellenic Council: All seven of our Panhellenic organizations are housed. These properties are owned and operated by the individual housing corporations of the organizations. Questions regarding cost and sign up should be directed to the individual organization.
  • Interfraternity Council: Nine IFC organizations are currently housed. Eight houses are owned and operated by SMU, and one (Sigma Chi) is privately owned and functions like the Panhellenic facilities.
  • Our National Pan-Hellenic Council chapters do not currently have official housing on campus.
  • Need Information on 3108 UNIVERSITY BLVD?
    • 3018 University Blvd is independently managed by the housing corporation of national sorority chapter who is not currently operating at SMU.  This is a private housing option and SMU has no or oversight in the leasing or management of this facility. Questions regarding costs and availability should be directed to the housing corporation directly.  
    • 3018 is currently available to junior and senior women on campus. Interested students should utilize the contact information below.
    • 3108 University Blvd (Kappa Alpha Theta): Anne Besser | and review their website at
       *** Currently has space available for spring 2024 single semester.

The first step of membership is participating in a new member education process. This time serves as an orientation to the organization where new members learn about the history and traditions of the local chapter and inter/national organization, as well as get to know the current members.

  • All of our fraternities and sororities at SMU are limited to six weeks for new member education, starting when bids or offers of membership are extended; many will have shorter processes.
  • Our students’ safety and well-being are our top priorities and we ensure all participants know that hazing is not permitted or tolerated. Hazing is a violation of Texas law and the SMU Student Code of Conduct. Additionally, hazing is also a violation of the inter/national policies for each of our fraternities and sororities, as well as their governing national councils.
  • Individual students or organizations who are found to have engaged in hazing may be subject to fines and charged with a criminal offense, as well as face disciplinary action from the University. A complete definition of hazing as well as all of SMU’s policies can be found here.
  • Anyone who has knowledge of hazing activity can report it to the Office of Student Conduct & Community Standards by clicking here or to the SMU Police Department or both. Information about hazing may also be reported anonymously through the SMU Police Department’s Silent Witness Program by calling 214-SMU-2TIP or online. You can also use SMU's new anonymous texting feature. Text concerns to 205-TXT2SMU. 
  • If you believe hazing or any other illegal activity is taking place in your student’s organization, please utilize the form above or contact us at 214-768-6424, the Office of Student Conduct & Community Standards (SCCS) 214-768-4400 or the Office of the Dean of Students at 214-768-4563. The more information you provide about the alleged activities, the more effective SMU’s response can be.  Anonymous calls are accepted, but without the name of a chapter and/or specific allegations, a case becomes increasingly difficult to investigate.
  • Additional resources can also be found at