For Students of SMU
- Materials are available for self-study by SMU students for the purpose of improving your pronunciation, listening, vocabulary and grammar skills. Feel free to browse the PONI on-line catalog for information on any of these materials.
- ESL students of SMU are matched up through the Conversation Buddy Program with a native English speaking SMU student to practice their listening and speaking skills in an informal, one-on-one setting outside the classroom. This program is made available at the beginning of each fall, spring and summer semester.
- Contact SMU’s International Center for information on various services and resources available to SMU international students (see International Student Handbook).
- Ask the "ESL Grammar Doctor" a language question by filling out the online form.
- A special collection of ESL Self-Study Materials intended for individual student use is located at the Fondren Library Information Commons.
SMU's Simmons School of Education offers three forms of Bilingual/ESL Teacher Education: ESL Specialization, Bilingual Specialization, and Master of Bilingual Education programs. Please send an e-mail to email@example.com for more information on these programs.
Visit TOEFL for more information about the Test of English as a Foreign Language, and IELTS for more information about the International English Language Testing System. Although SMU does not offer official TOEFL or IELTS testing at this time, TOEFL Test Preparation is available at SMU.
Graduate Writing Center, Fondren Library Red 312 (two consultants available by appointment, 30-minute sessions)
Fondren Library Graduate Student Services
Fondren Library Workshops & Events
Graduate Professional Development Workshops, SMU Graduate Studies
National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
Writing Center, Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center (A-LEC) [Undergraduate only]
Student Academic Success Programs (SASP) Services [Undergraduate only]
International Teaching Assistants
ITA Manuals & Videos
Field-specific terminology with audio files
Writing / Grammar / Vocabulary
Graduate Writing Center materials
Oral/Aural Communication Skills
American Life and Culture
Living in the U.S.
Various ESL links, slang & idioms, culture
American vs. British English