The deadline to prepare your computer for final exams is July 8, 2021. It is essential that you read and follow all procedures below.
- Retrieve Your ExamSoft "Exam Taker" password and "Exam PIN" number HERE and save them. The Institution ID is smulaw.
- Contact Examsoft for Examplify questions.
- Contact our Law School Registrar's Office (email@example.com) for questions that are not Examplify related.
- Review the ExamSoft FAQs
Important Information for Mac UsersApple released macOS 11 Big Sur last November. Students using Big Sur must update Examplify to version 2.5 or higher.
Apple also released last November a new line of Mac computers that utilize Apple’s new M1 microchip technology. If your Mac has the new M1 chip, you must upgrade Examplify to version 2.6 or higher. When updating Examplify on Apple devices with M1 processors, you will be prompted to install Apple Rosetta 2. For more information about installing Apple Rosetta 2, click here.
Taking Exams with Examplify
Print the following handout and bring it to exams
Before You Install Examplify
- Your computer must meet minimum requirements. Click here for the Minimum System Requirements.
- Your computer's time and date must be correct.
- If your computer with Windows OS uses Asian languages, visit CHANGING YOUR LANGUAGE SETTINGS IN Windows for additional information.
- Your computer must be in good working condition (no hardware or software problems).
- You must connect your computer to an electrical power outlet rather than relying on your computer's battery.
- You must disable your antivirus or antispyware programs prior to each exam and re-enable them afterward.
Obtain Examplify License
To pay the $25 license fee for Examplify, click HERE and login to your Exam Taker account with the Instituion ID, smulaw, your username (SMU ID number, without hyphen) and your ExamSoft Password. You will be prompted to pay the license fee.
Note: The license fee is good for the current academic school year. If you need to re-install Examplify during the academic school year, you are not required to pay the license fee again.
1. Login to your Exam Taker account at www.examsoft.com/smulaw.
2. Click the "Download Examplify" button (PC or Mac is okay).
3. Install Examplify
a. Restart your computer if prompted
4. Register Examplify
a. Enter the Institution ID: smulaw
b. Enter your SMU ID and Exam Taker Password
c. Click the "Register" button (must have internet connection)
5. Download a Mock Exam (your Exam Files (one for each exam you are taking on your computer) will be available to download 24 hours prior to your scheduled exam). DO NOT OMIT THIS ESSENTIAL STEP.
a. Students must have their Exam Files downloaded to their computer by the deadline.
6. Students taking exams on their computers must take one Mock Exam each semester and upload the Mock Exam File.
a. Open and launch Examplify
b. Click on the Mock Exam you are going to take
c. Click the "Next" button
d. Click the check box that you are ready to begin the exam and click "Start" button to take the exam
e. Type something in the answer screen. Familiarize yourself with Examplify features, such as symbols, word and character count
f. Click "Exam Controls" at top, right and click the "Submit" button
g. Follow instructions to exit and the Mock Exam will automatically upload
- Be aware there are always risks involved when taking an exam using a computer, though negative outcomes are very rare. If you experience any computer-related problems, immediately contact Debbie Seiter (contact information will be sent to you before exams begin). If the problems are not resolved quickly, it is your responsibility to handwrite your exam.
- Do not format your hard drive or SSD, or send your laptop for repairs before you receive your course grades. If your laptop needs repairs, contact someone in the Law School Registrar's Office and make an appointment to have a copy of your encrypted exam files retrieved before commencing repairs.
- Students must install Examplify and download their Exam Files and Mock Exam File to their own laptop without the help of another law student, since each Exam File is specifically configured with his/her Exam PIN number and must not be copied from another student’s laptop. Violating this policy and attempting to copy someone else’s Exam Files to their laptop after the deadline could result not only in lost exam answers but could subject the students to Honor Code violations and disciplinary action.