Credit and Placement Exams


To request that the Physics Department evaluate an external course for transfer credit, you will need to provide the standard petition form signed by your advisor, along with a course description with course pre-requirements (especially math requirements), and a full syllabus (including the lab, if relevant). Any additional information you can provide, such as course text, exams, assignments, and a course web address, would be helpful. You may leave these materials with the Administrative Assistant in the Physics Office, Rm 102 Fondren Science, and check back after two weeks. [Please DO NOT email forms; hardcopy only. Also note, during June and July processing may be limited by faculty availability.]

Once matriculated at SMU, 
Dedman College transfer policy requires that you obtain transfer approval prior to taking an external course. Please provide the relevant materials before the end of the course registration period during the preceding semester. The policy also states:" Courses required for majors or for admission to majors normally will not be allowed by transfer after matriculation."

UC Credit: Many courses will be approved for limited transfer only (PHYS 10xx) because they do not specifically match a course we offer. In this case you will need to petition separately to the University Curriculum Committee for UC credit.


The department offers placement exams for PHYS 1303 and 1304 only. Without exception, the placement exam must be taken prior to enrolling in the course and not later than the end of the student's first semester of enrollment at SMU. The placement exam is modeled from the final exam in the PHYS 1303 and 1304 courses. Students wishing to take a placement exam should contact one of the PHYS 1303/4 instructors in the semester they wish to take it.


"Testing out" of any labs (e.g., PHYS 1105, 1106, 4311) is not allowed.