Dedman Center is a private, University recreation center for the intended use of SMU students and paid members. Guest are permitted. Blatant violations and disregard for Dedman Member Expectations and Standards may result in suspended or permanent loss of access, University sanctions, and/or law enforcement. Any questions or comments should be directed the Main Desk at 214-768-3374.
All SMU Students, members and guest are expected to follow Dedman Center Member Expectations and Standards and demonstrate appropriate etiquette.
Who is permitted to use the Dedman Center?
Dedman Center is a private, University recreation center for the intent and purpose of the SMU Student. SMU employees, some SMU Sponsored accounts, Alumni and DFW community members may purchase a duration-based membership of varying cost. See Dedman Center Membership page for more details. Daily membership and guest pass packages are available for purchase to anyone over the age of 18. Some limitations apply to daily memberships and guest pass packages. Only minors of paid members (excludes daily membership) and students are permitted use of Dedman Center during Family Hours and expected to abide by Family Hours Expectations.
Dedman Center membership, including Student membership, is non-transferrable and for the sole purpose of the individual member.
- Must be SMU student or 18 years of age to access Dedman Center. Excludes minors of active members. See Family/Children Hours.
- In compliance with SMU University Policy 9.2: Identification of Individuals, proper proof of active membership (SMU ID, Membership Card or government issued ID) is required to access Dedman Center.
- ONLY minors (under the age of 18) of parents/guardians with Dedman memberships are permitted access to the facility. Access is restricted to family/children hours , holidays, or facilitated activities (e.g. swim lessons) and the minor MUST be accompanied by the parent/guardian member.
What is required to enter Dedman Center?
An SMU ID card, Dedman Member card, or a government issued photo ID is required for every person, every entry.
Because Dedman Center is open to the paying public, the safety and security of our facility of primary importance. Therefore, everyone desiring admittance to Dedman Center must be able to provide an SMU student or employee ID, SMU Sponsored ID, or a government issued photo ID with date of birth. If appicable, relevant fees will apply for non-members.
Forgotten wallets and ID happen. Therefore, Dedman Center permits OUR members 3 Forgotten ID card courtesy entries each semester. Does not apply to guest. Once exhausted, a forgotten ID card fee will be charged to members without an ID card. Remember, government issued photo ID is a valid form of identification and can be used in the place of an SMU ID card.
What is required to purchase a membership to Dedman?
Dedman offers a variety of membership options from annual to daily. The membership type and duration are dependent upon the individual's affiliation or relationship to the University. See Membership page for details. For all memberships, the following is required:
- SMU or Government Issued Photo ID
- 18 years of age or older
- Guest must be 18 years of age and present a government issued photo ID with date of birth to the Front Desk each visit in compliance with University Policy 9.1: Guest on Campus.
- Guest must purchase a Daily Pass or Package to access.
- Guest Pass/Package are non-transferrable and only intended for the use of the person that purchased.
- Guest Pass/Packages are non-refundable once entered into the facility.
- Some products/services are not available to Guest or require an additional charge.
- Minors are not permitted access with Guest Pass/Package.
- Dedman Center reserves the right to restrict or limit Guest Pass purchases or facility use as deemed necessary and reasonable.
- SMU Students (only) are permitted 4/year courtesy Guest Passes for student's parents. Does not extend to siblings, relatives or friends. Siblings, relatives or friends under the age of 18 are not permitted use of Dedman Center.
- Parents must present Photo ID and sign Guest Release of Liability.
- In compliance with University Policy 9.1: Guest on Campus, Visitors will be required to show a photo ID at the desk upon arrival. Photo ID may be retained at desk until departure.
- Visitors are not permitted to use the facility or services.
- Visitors must log-in at the Front Desk upon arrival.
- Visitors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- If witnessed using facility/services or within facility longer than 10 minutes, Visitor will be subject to Guest Policies and pay the Guest Pass fee.
- Upon departure, Visitor must log-out at the Front Desk to retrieve ID.
- Dedman Center reserves the right to refuse, restrict or limit Visitor entry as deemed necessary.
- SMU guided tours accompanied by an SMU Admissions Guide or SMU Faculty/Staff member are welcome.
- Self-guided tours comprised of a majority of minors without their parent/guardian are NOT permitted past the security gates.
- Individuals or groups may tour facility (see Visitors)
- Minors in the company of parent/guardian are permitted to tour facility (see Visitors)
What are the Rules of Dedman Center?
Rules, standards and expections are designed for the safety and security of people and property and everyone's enjoymnet of the facility.
- Activity or behavior with the intent (real or perceived) to discriminate, deceive or cause harm to self, other patrons, staff or property will NOT be tolerated and result in suspended or permanent loss of access.
- Food and open drink containers are NOT permitted past the entry gates unless as part of an approved and reserved Special Event. See Reservations.
- Shirts and appropriate shoes are required within the Dedman Center (excludes indoor pool).
- Individuals that check out equipment from Dedman are responsible for the return of the equipment in the condition it was provided. Replacement fees will apply to unreturned or damaged equipment.
- Wheeled devices (excludes ADA devices necessary for mobility) such as roller blades, skateboards, scooters and hover boards, are not permitted to be used within Dedman Center.
- Personal training by non-SMU Recreational Sports certified trainers is prohibited.
- Animals are not permitted on premises with the exception as defined by University Office of Access and Equity (IAE) as a Service Animal.
- The consumption or possession of alcohol or drugs on Dedman property is strictly PROHIBITED.
- Smoking (Vaping) is prohibited on property and within 15 feet of entrances (See University Policy 1.19: Smoking)
- Obscene or degrading language is prohibited including music. Failure to comply will result in loss of access privilege.
- Weapons, as defined by University Policy 9.5: Weapons, are not permitted on the premises.
- No Solicitation as defined by University Policy 9.13: Solicitation
- MUST be age 18 (or a current SMU student) or older to use fitness/cardio equipment or weights.
- Closed toe shoes are required.
- Shirts are required.
- Do NOT remove weights or workout equipment from fitness floor or studios.
- Personal speakers are prohibited on fitness floor.
- Bags must be stored in cubbies and designated area and not taken onto the fitness floor.
- The Recreational Pool will be available to swimmers under the age of 18 during Family Hours or scheduled private swim lessons.
- Minors under age 14 must be accompanied by an adult while in the pool with an adult to minor ration of 1:4.
- Non-potty trained children must wear a swim diaper.
- Only Coast Guard approved life jackets will be allowed in the pool area.
- The Falls will only be available to those under 18 on Saturdays until 1:00pm.
- No glass containers are permitted at The Falls or sand volleyball courts
- Rinse off sand before entering The Falls.
- Climbers under the age 18 are only allowed in the Climbing Center area during Family Hours and while the Climbing Center is staffed. Includes bouldering wall.
- Climbers under the age of 18 AND their legal guardian or parent must sign a Climbing Center waiver to climb in the area.
- Climbers under that age of 13 are designated “climb only” and must be belayed by staff or an Approved Climber.
- Climbers above the age of 13 can acquire an Approved Climber Card.
- To access the Climbing Center, climbers must be Dedman Center Members or affiliation with SMU (Faculty, Staff, or Student). Unless included by a family membership or spouse membership, the climber is considered a guest and charged the associated fees.
- Due to limited equipment, climbing equipment will be first come, first serve.
- All climbers are expected to abide by Climbing Center Safety Policies and posted Rules.
Etiquette can be defined as commonly accepted code of conduct or behavior. Etiquette is often the "unwritten" rules guiding decisions and actions for a specific social group, culture, organization or activity. Think "sportsmanship". Most recreation centers or "gym" adhere to an etiquette that reinforces respect for facility and courtesy to others.
Dedman Etiquette includes but is not limited to:
- Return weights, equipment and towels to the appropriate location.
- Remove dirt and debris from shoes before entering Rec Center.
- Avoid taking pictures in work out areas, locker rooms or pool-it's just creepy. Approval for photography and filming within Dedman is required. See Reservations.
- Foul language, grunting and yelling should be avoided- if it is that hard, perhaps back off a little.
- Avoid "homesteading" on equipment or in workout areas to allow others access between sets or while resting.
- Disinfect and wipe down machines and mats after use.
- Wear shoes with non-scuffing soles in the activity areas.
- Report malfunctions, spills, broken equipment, INJURIES, etc. to the desk staff.
- Avoid dropping weights except in areas specifically designed for the activity.
Filming at the Dedman Center:
To protect the privacy of Dedman Center members and Southern Methodist University, filming within Dedman Center property is prohibited without proper prior approval.
To film in the Dedman Center, non-SMU affiliated individuals must seek permission from SMU Public Affairs.
SMU Departments, Organizations, and Students
Prior to photographing/filming for any purpose,approval must be granted by Dedman Center Administration. A completed Request to Photograph/Film at Dedman form must be submitted 24 business hours in advance of photo/film shoot date. Each individual participating (model, photographer/videographer, crew, etc.) must also submit the Consent for Publication of Photograph release to be submitted with Request Form.
Submit completed Request and Consent forms to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or in-person to: David Chambers, Associate Director of Operations
Business Hours: Monday-Friday: 9am - 4:30pm
Dedman Center Photographing/Filming Policies:
- Photographs and film may not be published, sold, reproduced, transferred, distributed, or otherwise commercially exploited in any manner whatsoever to include social media.
- Photography, videography or filming is not permitted in Dedman Center locker rooms or restrooms.
- Under no condition are Minors (<18 years of age) permitted to be photographed or filmed.
- All photography and filming must be conducted during operational hours without disturbing, interfering, or limiting Dedman Center operations or member’s access to facility space or equipment.
- Prior permission by all photographic subjects must be secured with signed photo release.
- The Department of Recreational Sports reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to withhold and/or withdraw permission to photograph on its premises or the reproduction of photographs that include facilities, members, and staff.
Procedures for Photographing/Filming at Dedman Center:
- A completed Request form must be submitted 24 business hours prior to your anticipated time of photography/filming. Submission of form does not guarantee approval. Forms submitted on weekends or holidays will not be reviewed until the next business day.
- Email approval or denial will be sent to requester.
- Check-In at the Front Desk upon arrival at Dedman Center with copy of Approval Email.
- Front Desk will have copy of approved request.
- Non-SMU personnel will need to complete Guest procedures and pay the $10 guest fee to enter.
- Photographs/filming of Group Exercise and Personal Training must be approved by SMU Fitness program in addition to completion of this request.
- Photographing/filming on or at the Climbing Wall must be approved by SMU Outdoor Adventures in addition to the completion of this request.
- Notify Dedman Center Front Desk when completed/departing.
Forms for Filming
If you have any questions or comments, please contact 214-768-4823.
Dedman Center's Lost/Found is located at the Front Desk. If the owner can be identified, Dedman Center staff will make attempts to notify via email. To check Lost/Found, visit the Front Desk or call 214-768-3374. It helps to provide a detailed description and date lost/missing. NOTE: Dedman Center Administration is unable to view past video footage to find lost/missing items. If suspected theft, contact SMU Police at 214-768-3333.
- Items in Lost/Found will be retained for up to 2 weeks.
- Valuables are defined as personal items (wallets, credit cards, etc.), electronics and jewelry estimated in value of over $100.
- Clothing, shoes, hats, and other items will stored in the Lost/Found closet.
- After 2 weels, valuables will be taken to SMU Police. All other will be donated to a local charity.
- To retrieve lost items, a photo ID card will be required and claim form completed.