A gift from Harold C. Simmons and Annette Caldwell Simmons ’57 established the Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development to provide endowment and crucial support for programs that address critical needs and opportunities in education.
The mission of the school is to integrate theory, research and practice of education and human development; promote academic rigor and interdisciplinary collaboration; educate students for initial certification and professional practice; and nurture collaboration across the academic community.
Applications for the Fall 2024 admissions will open on August 1, 2023
Ph.D. Program Deadline is December 1, 2023
Applications should include the following:
- Official copies of all graduate and undergraduate transcripts where you have received 9 or more credit hours or a degree has been conferred.
Official transcripts must be sent directly by the institution to SMU.
All foreign transcripts must be accompanied by a professional evaluation and an official transcript, including an English translation if it is not in English.
Electronic transcripts should be sent directly by the institution to:
Paper transcripts should be sent directly by the institution to:
Graduate Application Processing
PO Box 518
Dallas, TX 75275-0518
- Scores from the verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing sections of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), taken within the last five years, use the institution code 6660. Applications and admission decisions rest on much more than the GRE scores; however, the preferred scores identified Quantitative (150 new scale, 630 old scale) and Verbal (153 new scale, 500 old scale) scores as minimum.
- Statement of professional purpose
- Academic writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation
- Applicants who do not speak English as their native language are required to supply scores on the TOEFL English language proficiency test, the IELTS English competency test, the Duolingo English Test (DET), or the TOEFL Essentials exam. The minimum TOEFL score for admission is 80. The minimum IELTS score is 6.5. The minimum score for the TOEFL Essentials is 8.5 with a minimum score of 8 in all subsections. The minimum DET score is 110. SMU’s ETS (TOEFL) school code is 6660. For the IELTS, please indicate “SMU – Graduate Application Processing Office”. For DET, please send scores to “SMU – Moody School of Graduate and Advanced Studies.” This requirement is automatically waived for students who have received undergraduate degrees from an English-language institution located in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa and who have been in residence at that institution for at least two years while earning their undergraduate degree. International applicants for whom this requirement is not automatically waived but who believe they have demonstrated English-language proficiency may also request to have the requirement waived. These requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Paying for the program.