Policy number: 1.13
Policy section: Institutional Affairs
Revised Date: January 2, 2019
1. Policy Statement
Southern Methodist University shall maintain an Intercollegiate Athletics mission statement that reflects the University’s mission and academic values, and shall establish standards of behavior for coaches and student athletes appropriate to their positions as representatives of the University. These standards will be upheld through normal University disciplinary procedures and, as appropriate, local and state procedures.
The Athletics Department shall provide information concerning standards of accountability and benchmarks to the President and the Board. The Department will report on their success in meeting those standards.
It is the responsibility of the University and the Athletics Department to create a climate of compliance with NCAA (“National Collegiate Athletic Association”), Conference, and Institutional rules regarding the operation of the University’s Intercollegiate Athletics Program. In furtherance of this responsibility, the University and the Athletics Department shall:
- Ensure that the Athletics Department is complying with provisions concerning gender equity and compliance with Title IX.
- Report NCAA violations to the President according to established procedures and shall advise the Board in a timely manner of any matter which bears materially on the integrity of the University’s Intercollegiate Athletics Program.
4. Oversight: The Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees, as the fiduciary body for Southern Methodist University, carries out its oversight through the following specific actions:
- Delegating administrative oversight responsibility for intercollegiate athletics to the Office of the President and lending its full and public support to the President in the execution of his/her duties.
- Approving, with the President, standards of accountability and benchmarks against which to measure the performance of the Intercollegiate Athletics Program.
- Holding the President accountable for the execution of those duties assigned under this Policy, and assessing presidential performance during periodic reviews.
- Reviewing and approving the athletics budget as part of the regular institutional budget process, including revenue, expenditures, and compensation procedures for athletic director and coaches, and gift policies, in keeping with the Board’s overall responsibility as financial stewards of the institution.
- Reviewing and approving an Athletics Department mission statement that reflects the University’s mission and academic values.
- Including in new board member orientation a review of policies pertaining to athletics.
- Promoting the full integration of the Athletics Department into the administrative structure of the University by working with the President and Athletics Department.
- Periodically, conducting a review of governance policies related to intercollegiate athletics.
5. Oversight: The President
The President, with authority and responsibility vested by the Southern Methodist University Board of Trustees, oversees the Intercollegiate Athletics Program through the following specific actions:
- Exercising oversight for the conduct and control of the Athletics Department, including all personnel decisions (hiring, firing, compensation, etc.), corporate partnerships, television contracts, booster clubs, and affiliated organizations, including their private fundraising efforts.
- Setting appropriate standards of accountability and benchmarks against which to measure the success of the Intercollegiate Athletics Program. Standards and benchmarks should include finances, admissions, student-athlete well-being, academic advising, graduation rates, facilities, capital expenditures and conflict-of interest policies.
- Establishing and upholding, with the faculty and administration, academic and eligibility standards for student-athletes that reflect the institution’s academic values and mission.
- Communicating to the Board of Trustees on his or her fulfillment of responsibilities as they relate to agreed-upon goals, standards and benchmarks of the Intercollegiate Athletics Program.
- Reviewing, with the Board, the NCAA institutional self-study and certification process and the institution’s compliance with Title IX provisions concerning gender equity, as well as departmental compliance with any laws and regulations to which the institution is subject.
- Communicating directly or indirectly with the Board, coaches, administrators, students, faculty, boosters and alumni concerning: compliance with institutional, conference and NCAA rules and regulations; the mission, values and goals of the Athletics Department; appropriate stewardship of and contact with donors and students; and the acceptance of benefits from the Athletics Department.
6. Department Administrative Rules, Procedures, and Guidelines
The Department of Athletics shall promulgate procedures and guidelines pursuit to this policy, including the Department of Athletics Manual.
Revised: January 2, 2019
Adopted: December 2, 2011