Position: Director of Children and Youth Ministries
Direct Reports: Ministry Area Volunteers
Reports to: Pastor, Staff Parish Relations Committee
Status: Part-Time, Exempt, Salary - $16,000 to $18,000 annually
Approximately 20 hours per week
The Director of Family Ministries will provide Christ-centered leadership and oversight to the youth of the Pilot Point United Methodist Church. The position is intended to encourage, equip and empower children and youth along their journey in faith. This person will be intentional in seeking new opportunities and avenues to capture and inspire the hearts and minds of our youth and children. This person will motivate and engage children, youth and volunteers in a culture of spiritual development, following our mission locally and globally while gaining community involvement and discipleship.
- ●Possess the gifts, graces, and commitment to nurture and guide our young people to become disciples of Jesus Christ
- ●Commitment to support the mission and ministries of the United Methodist Church within the congregation of First United Methodist Church of Pilot Point.Extend compassion and grace-filled care to children, youth, and their families
- ●Strong organizational and leadership skills; relational, compassionate, and able to adapt to change
- ●Ability to recruit, build, encourage, equip and lead volunteer teams.
- ●Flexible Schedule - hours and days are based on the needs of the youth and the church.
- ●Possess a valid driver’s license
- ●U.S. Citizenship / or equivalent- employment eligible in the U.S.
- ●Previous experience in children’s and or youth ministries
- ●Ability to demonstrate leadership and facilitation skills
- ●Experience in group leadership, small group facilitation, planning, and organization, recruiting and training volunteers
- ●Bi-lingual (spanish)
- ●Minimum Age 21
- ●Musical Skills a plus
- ●Preference will be made for professing members of the Methodist Denomination
- ●Understand and project the mission, vision and values of Pilot Point First United Methodist Church into the children’s and youth ministries.
- ●Work cooperatively with pastor, staff, volunteers, and parents to promote intentional spiritual development with children and youth in and around the Pilot Point community.
- ●Work with Pastor to contribute to and maintain consistent direction for the overall ministry through strategic planning and collaboration; receptive to changing needs of congregation.
- ●Plan and oversee all aspects of programming and ministry for children and youth of Pilot Point FUMC including:
- ○Planning, organizing and preparing approved FUMC curriculum for children and youth ministries for Pilot Point FUMC.
- ○Recruiting, inspiring, and leading volunteers to serve on a rotational basis as teachers for Sunday School, Children’s church.
- ○Direct participation in engaging and teaching children and youth.
- ○Facilitation of youth Sunday School class, future children/youth activities.
- ○Assist the Senior Pastor with teaching yearly confirmation class.
- ○Connect with students by being present and engaging in school-related activities (as appropriate).
- ○Participate in Leadership Ministry Planning, Administrative Council, and other meetings as appropriate to position.
- ○Regular participation in Sunday morning worship.
- ○Plan and coordinate youth-led worship services (currently once per year).
- ○Complete “Ministry Safe” training and maintain volunteer compliance with the UMC Ministry Safe Program.
- ○Explore opportunities to connect with North Texas Conference youth leaders.
- ○Ministry (continuing education, collaboration, small groups, sharing of ideas, etc.)
- ○Participate in performance reviews (90-day, six month, and annual); annually thereafter, or as needed.
Existing Ministry Programs:
- ●Sunday School:
- ○Children’s Sunday School
- ○Children’s Church: held during each worship service, following Children’s Time.
- ○PPFUMC Youth ministry: Sunday evening (subject to change, as deemed necessary by church leadership).
- ○Additional children’s ministry opportunities as part of mission and intentional faith development for PreK- 5th grades.
- ○Continue existing programs and expand as ministry develops
- ●Vacation Bible School
- ●Summer Camp - Bridgeport UMC Retreat
- ●Junior High Mission Trip / Senior High Mission Trip.
- ●Youth Back-to-School Activity / End of School Activity
Local Mission/Outreach Participation
- ●Quarterly Sunday afternoon youth activities
- ●Easter egg hunt
- ●Christmas party, Christmas caroling (other Advent activities), and other congregational activities
- ●Local Community Based events (City of Pilot Point sponsored Main St. Events)
- ●Any additional leadership opportunities that are deemed necessary
- ●Minimum Educational Requirements
- ○High School Diploma
- ○Bachelor’s Degree in related field (Education, Religious Studies, Communications, etc.) preferred
- ○UMC youth leadership certification and/or seminary degree - preferred
- ●Able to move freely in and out of different group settings (homes, church, businesses)
- ●Able to speak in a public forum
- ●Able to lift a minimum of 20lbs
- ●Able to actively participate in all ministry-related activities (eg. youth events, mission trips, etc.)