A Welcoming Space: The Origin of Crosby Court
Perkins’ Crosby Court Memorializes Fallen Korean Conflict Soldier
On the west side of Perkins Chapel facing Hillcrest Avenue, matching plaques designate a paved area with benches as “Crosby Court in memory of Stanley W. Crosby, Jr.” Like the ubiquitous plaques sprinkled on everything from bricks to benches, fountains to faculty offices, and stadiums to student lounges across the SMU campus, the plaques identifying Crosby Court are often overlooked.
Read the Summer 2011 Perkins Perspective article, which includes a series of letters exchanged in 1950-51 between Dr. Eugene B. Hawk, then dean of Perkins, and Stanley W. Crosby, Sr., revealing the remarkable tale underlying Crosby Court.
Read the article >