SMU awards credit for selective Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams. Credit is also awarded for The General Certificate of Education A-Level (United Kingdom), The Baccalaureate (France), The Abitur (Germany) and the Italian Maturita (Italy).
SMU also awards credit for departmental examinations offered in a variety of disciplines. Credit for examinations awarded by other institutions will not transfer to SMU.
The credit by examination page in the SMU catalog lists scores required and credit awarded for these exams.
- Counseling & Psychological Services(CAPS): Free, confidential counseling by psychologists and psychiatrists; located on the 2nd floor of the Dr. Bob Smith Health Center, (214) 768-2277.
- Office of the Chaplain and Religious Life: Offers support and organizations for many faiths; located at 316 Hughes-Trigg, (214) 768-4502.
- Women & LGBT Center: Home of the Women’s Symposium, Allies, Women in Science and Engineering (WISE), LGBT Dialogues, Picture Project and the Violence Prevention Program; located at 313 Hughes-Trigg, (214) 768-4792.
- Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center (ALEC): Free drop-in tutoring, learning strategy workshops, HDEV 1110, and academic counseling; located at 202 Loyd Center, (214) 768-3648.
- Writing Center at the ALEC: Help from English faculty with any paper for any course; located at 202 Loyd Center or call (214) 768-3648 for an appointment.
- DASS (Disability Accommodations and Success Strategies): Assists students with disabilities and diagnosed learning differences at the LEC; located at 202 Loyd Center, (214) 768-1470.
- The Foreign Language Teaching Technology Center: Improve language skills; located at 234 Clements Hall, (214) 768-2218.
- International Student and Scholar Services: Helps students from other countries; located at Blanton Building, Suite 216.
- SMU Abroad: Information about studying in another country.
- SMU-in-Taos: Offers summer courses at SMU's Fort Burgwin campus in Taos, New Mexico; located in Blanton Room 338, (214) 768-3657.