The Office of Risk Management works closely with our workers' compensation carrier to provide the best service we can to our employees, and provides the following services:
- Incident and claim investigation;
- Management of SMU's Return to Work Program;
- Liaising with other departments on campus, including Human Resources and Payroll;
- Analysis of claim trends; and
- Loss control to limit future claims.
For more information about Workers' Compensation, please refer to the Associate Director of Risk Management.
Workplace Injury Response
If you are injured at work:
- Attend to any emergency medical needs. Call SMU PD at 214-768-3333 if at the Dallas campus, or 911 if off-campus.
- If you need to go to the doctor, call ORM at 214-768-2083 for a referral to an in-network.
- Report as soon as practical to your supervisor.
- You or your supervisor must notify Risk Management by completing the Online Workers Compensation Incident Report or calling ORM at 214-768-2083.
If your employee is injured at work:
- Attend to any emergency medical needs and make sure your employee is ok.
- Work with your employee to notify Risk Management by completing the Online Workers Compensation Incident Report or calling ORM at 214-768-2083.
- Complete additional paperwork as required, including the Supervisor Report.
- As needed, work with ORM to conduct an initial investigation.
The information on this web site is intended to help answer questions you may have regarding how the workers' compensation process works. For more information about Workers' Compensation, please refer to the Associate Director of Risk Management.
Important Workers Compensation Links
Division of Workers' Compensation Website
Employee Rights and Responsibilities