April 22, 2014
This year Founders’ Day Weekend added a new performance program, Inside SMU Powered by TEDxSMU, featuring presentations by faculty, students, staff and alumni.
English Prof. Willard Spiegelman presenting at "Inside SMU Powered by TEDxSMU."
See the slide show.
The program offered opinions and ideas on topics ranging from NSA wiretapping, to civil rights, to a whimsical exercise in giant origami.
Videos of the presentations will be posted soon. See the slide show of the presenters.
The TEDxSMU team is partnered with SMU’s Office of Development and External Affairs to present Inside SMU Powered by TEDxSMU during Founder’s Day Weekend on April 11, 2014.
Speakers and Their Subjects
(Names are linked to their presentations.)
- Stephen Rankin | Staff | Student Affairs: "The World Changers We Shape"
- Christopher Carrillo | Student | Lyle School of Engineering: "The (Non) Technical Development of Humanity"
- Dennis E. Murphree | Alumni | Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences: "The Importance of Persistence"
- Michael Harris | Faculty | Simmons School of Education and Human Development: "Why Businesses Should Work Like a University"
- Arnaud Zimmern | Student | Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences: "Braiding Red Riding Hood"
- Jaime Clark-Soles | Faculty | Perkins School of Theology: "Dying to Live"
- Joshua Rovner | Faculty | Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences: "The Heroes of Counterinsurgency"
- Marc Christensen | Faculty | Lyle School of Engineering: "Educating a New Generation of Failures"
- Martin Camp | Faculty | Dedman School of Law: "Good News, Bad News, Who is to Say!"
- Brittany Harrington | Student | Meadows School of the Arts: "Quartet-a-tete with The Breaking Winds Bassoon Quartet"
- Dennis Simon | Faculty | Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences: "Civil Rights: A Journey"
- Ben Voth | Faculty | Meadows School of the Arts: "Ending Genocide in the 21st century"
- Mariah Cowley | Student | Lyle School of Engineering: "Creating Giant Origami and Shaping Lives"
- Blake Norvell | Alumni | Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences: "NSA Wiretapping: A 4th Amendment Violation?"
- Jon Horton | Staff | SMU Athletics: "My mother's funeral... a lesson in kindness"
- Willard Spiegelman | Faculty | Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences: "Realms of Gold"
For more information, call 214-768-4962 or visit www.TEDxSMU.org
# # #