Dance is a dual-admission program for which the student must be accepted artistically by the Dance Division and academically by the SMU Admissions office.
Auditions are held by the Dance Division both on campus and at regional locations across the country. They provide Dance faculty the opportunity to evaluate a student’s skill and potential for success in the SMU Meadows program.
For a complete list of audition dates and information on how to request an audition appointment, please see below.
Please be sure to indicate the significant amount of time you spend dancing on the Extracurricular Resume and Application which you submit to the Office of Admission as part of the application checklist.
How to Prepare
- All candidates should prepare a dance piece in ballet, modern, or jazz technique not to exceed 90 seconds.
- Female candidates should wear a solid color leotard and pink tights.
- Male candidates should wear a white T-shirt and black tights.
- All candidates should bring both ballet slippers (pointe shoes are required only if they are needed for your solo) and jazz shoes.
- Bare feet will be required for the modern portion of the audition.
- Candidates must also bring a recent photograph, résumé, and music for their prepared solos. (Note: Regional audition applicants should bring their own audio player.)
The Dallas auditions take place on the below Saturday mornings and typically last from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The audition begins with a ballet class followed by combinations in modern and jazz. After the conclusion of the class portion, a select group of candidates will be identified to showcase a prepared 90-second solo. These candidates will also have a brief interview on location with the auditioning faculty.
Dallas audition candidates are invited to visit the Division of Dance for class observations and campus tours every Friday preceding a Dallas audition. To arrange for a visit, contact Heather Guthrie,email@example.com / 214-768-2718.
October 19, 2013
November 16, 2013
January 18, 2014
February 22, 2014
Audition reservations are required. All audition dates are subject to change. Please be sure to check back for updates.
2013-2014 Regional Auditions
Regional auditions take place at various locations across the U.S.
|Oct. 25, 2013
||Houston School for the Performing and Visual Arts
|Jan. 11, 2014
||San Francisco Conservatory of Dance
|Feb. 1, 2014
Recorded Audition Submission
While the Division of Dance strongly encourages candidates to complete a live audition, we understand that it may not always be possible to attend a live audition. Please carefully review our instructions for your submission before recording and submitting your audition. All recordings must be received by February 15, 2014.
It is not always possible for our faculty to render an admissions decision from a recording. You may be requested to visit campus for subsequent activities such as an interview with our faculty.
Instructions for Submitting Recorded Auditions
Recorded auditions should be submitted to Slideroom or via Youtube. The Youtube link should be sent to Heather Guthrie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do not submit recordings from past performances.
Your submission should include:
- Personal introduction (1 minute or less)
- Short ballet barre: Include plié, dégagé, rond de jambe, and grand battement (5 minutes or less)
- Pirouette and petit allegro combination (1 minute or less)
- Brief combination either choreographed or improvised Ballet, Modern, or Jazz (30-60 seconds)
- Solo in your technique of choice: ballet en pointe, modern, or jazz (90 seconds or less)
- Answers to the questions: What two words would describe your relationship to Dance? What would you bring to the Division of Dance at SMU?
- Candidates have the option to upload a photo and résumé with their recorded audition.
For more information on how to submit, email Heather Guthrie at email@example.com.