In order to pursue a Dance major or minor at SMU, you must be accepted both to the Meadows School of the Arts (via your audition), as well as to SMU (via your undergraduate application for admission).
Transfer Students: Note that all transfer students are required to complete college algebra or a college-level math course before transferring to SMU. We strongly encourage you to plan ahead and check with your transfer admission counselor to ensure that you have satisfied this admission requirement.
How to Prepare
- All candidates should prepare a dance piece in ballet, modern, or jazz technique not to exceed 90 seconds.
- Female candidates should wear a solid color leotard and pink tights.
- Male candidates should wear a white T-shirt and black tights.
- All candidates should bring both ballet slippers (pointe shoes are required only if they are needed for your solo) and jazz shoes.
- Bare feet will be required for the modern portion of the audition.
- Candidates must also bring a recent photograph, résumé, and music for their prepared solos. (Note: Regional audition applicants should bring their own audio player.)
2014 – 15 Dallas Auditions
- Saturday, October 18, 2014
- Saturday, November 8, 2014
- Saturday, January 24, 2015
- Saturday, February 21, 2015
Online registration for dance auditions will be available beginning September 1.
The Dallas auditions typically last from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The audition begins with a ballet class followed by combinations in modern and jazz. After the conclusion of the class portion, a select group of candidates will be identified to showcase a prepared 90-second solo. These candidates will also have a brief interview on location with the auditioning faculty.
Dallas audition candidates are invited to visit the Division of Dance for class observations and campus tours every Friday preceding a Dallas audition. To arrange for a visit, contact Heather Guthrie,firstname.lastname@example.org / 214-768-2718.
Audition reservations are required. All audition dates are subject to change. Please be sure to check back for updates.
2014 – 15 Regional Auditions
Regional audition dates and locations are TBA, but will be available soon.
Recorded auditions should be submitted by sending a Youtube link to Heather Guthrie at email@example.com. Please carefully review our instructions for your submission before recording and submitting your audition. All recordings must be received by February 15, 2015.
It is not always possible for our faculty to render an admissions decision from a recording. You may be requested to visit campus for subsequent activities such as an interview with our faculty.
Instructions for Submitting Recorded Auditions
Recorded auditions should be submitted to Slideroom or via Youtube. The Youtube link should be sent to Heather Guthrie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do not submit recordings from past performances.
Your submission should include:
- Personal introduction (1 minute or less)
- Short ballet barre: Include plié, dégagé, rond de jambe, and grand battement (5 minutes or less)
- Pirouette and petit allegro combination (1 minute or less)
- Brief combination either choreographed or improvised Ballet, Modern, or Jazz (30-60 seconds)
- Solo in your technique of choice: ballet en pointe, modern, or jazz (90 seconds or less)
- Answers to the questions: What two words would describe your relationship to Dance? What would you bring to the Division of Dance at SMU?
- Resume with full contact information
- Candidates have the option to upload a photo with their recorded audition.
For more information on how to submit, email Heather Guthrie at email@example.com.