In order to pursue a Dance major or minor at SMU, you must be accepted both to the Meadows School of the Arts (via your audition), as well as to SMU (via your undergraduate application for admission).
Transfer Students: Note that all transfer students are required to complete college algebra or a college-level math course before transferring to SMU. We strongly encourage you to plan ahead and check with your transfer admission counselor to ensure that you have satisfied this admission requirement.
Click here to read an important note to those applying to SMU using Early Action/Early Decision 1 (November 1 deadline) and are pursuing degrees in Music, Dance, Theatre, Studio Art or the B.F.A. in Film & Media Arts.
If you apply to SMU by Nov. 1 but do not complete your audition/submit your portfolio until January or February, there is a strong possibility that your SMU admission decision will be deferred until your Meadows audition or portfolio results are available. This is because, as part of the holistic application review process, the SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission would like the opportunity to consider both your academic application as well as your audition/portfolio results before delivering an admission decision.
If you apply using Early Action/Early Decision I and receive a "deferred" letter, you will receive a followup decision letter after the SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission has reviewed the results of your audition or portfolio.
How to Prepare
- All candidates should prepare a dance piece in ballet, modern, or jazz technique not to exceed 90 seconds.
- Female candidates should wear a solid color leotard and pink tights.
- Male candidates should wear a white T-shirt and black tights.
- All candidates should bring both ballet slippers (pointe shoes are required only if they are needed for your solo) and jazz shoes.
- Bare feet will be required for the modern portion of the audition.
- Candidates must also bring a recent photograph, résumé, and music for their prepared solos. (Note: Regional audition applicants should bring their own audio player.)
2016 – 17 Dallas Auditions
- Saturday, October 15, 2016
- Saturday, November 19, 2016
- Saturday, January 28, 2017
- Saturday, February 18, 2017
To register for your audition, click here to go to our online audition scheduling page. Once there, use the calendar to select your desired audition date. Please note that our 2016-17 online audition registration system will go live on August 1: prior to that, the link will not work.
What to expect
The Dallas auditions typically last from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The audition begins with a ballet class followed by combinations in modern and jazz. After the conclusion of the class portion, a select group of candidates will be identified to showcase a prepared 90-second solo. These candidates will also have a brief interview on location with the auditioning faculty.
All SMU On-Campus Dance Auditions are offered on Saturdays. We welcome all candidates to begin their visit to SMU on the Fridays preceding auditions, during the optional Pre-Audition Day, to become better acquainted with our facilities, students, and faculty before their audition experience.
Click here for the Pre-Audition Day Schedule
There is no need to RSVP for the Pre-Audition Day; however, if you wish to go on the SMU Campus Tour and have a complimentary lunch in our dining facilities, please register for the 11:45 a.m. Lunch and 2:45 p.m. Campus Tour through the SMU Daily Visit form.
2016 – 17 Regional Auditions
- Baltimore: September 16, 2016
- San Francisco: January 14, 2017
- Houston: February 3, 2017
- Atlanta: February 11, 2017
To register for your audition, click here to go to our online audition scheduling page. Once there, use the calendar to select your desired audition date. Our 2016-17 online audition registration system will go live on August 1.
Recorded auditions should be submitted online through our Dance Recorded Audition Information Form. Please carefully review our instructions for your submission before recording and submitting your audition. All recordings (submitted via the Recorded Audition Information Form) must be received by February 15.
It is not always possible for our faculty to render an admissions decision from a recording. You may be requested to visit campus for subsequent activities such as an interview with our faculty.
Your video(s) should include:
- Personal introduction (1 minute or less)
- Short ballet barre: Include plié, dégagé, rond de jambe, and grand battement (5 minutes or less)
- Pirouette and petit allegro combination (1 minute or less)
- Brief combination either choreographed or improvised Ballet, Modern, or Jazz (30-60 seconds)
- Solo in your technique of choice: ballet en pointe, modern, or jazz (90 seconds or less)
Additional materials to submit with your video(s):
- Dance Statement with Answers to these questions:
- What two words would describe your relationship to Dance?
- What would you bring to the Division of Dance at SMU?
- Optional Photo
For more information on recorded audition submission, email Heather Guthrie at firstname.lastname@example.org.