Latest News & Updates
COVID-19 vaccinations are available at the Dr. Bob Smith Health Center. All students as well as SMU employees and their families age 12 and older are eligible. Please schedule your vaccination appointment through the SMU Health portal. If you do not have access to the portal, please call the Health Center at 214-768-2141 (select option 1) to schedule an appointment.
Studies show that COVID-19 vaccine protection decreases over time. Boosters provide additional protection, especially against severe illness that can lead to hospitalization or even dying from the virus.
- Ages 12+ can get a booster dose of the Pfizer vaccine at least five months after their second dose. If they are immune-compromised, they can get a second booster four months after their first booster.
- Ages 18+ can get a booster dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine at least five months after their second dose. If they are immune-compromised, they can get a second booster at least four months after their first booster. Those who received the one-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine may get a booster of any COVID vaccine at least two months after their first dose.
- Ages 50+ can get a second booster of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine at least four months after their first booster.
COVID-19 Additional Doses for Immunocompromised Individuals
The Health Center provides additional doses to those who are moderately to severely immunocompromised in accordance with CDC recommendations. Receiving an additional primary dose only applies to moderately to severely immunocompromised people who have received an mRNA COVD-19 vaccine primary series (Pfizer BioNTech or Moderna).
- Moderna - Immunocompromised people ages 18 years and older who completed their Moderna vaccine primary series should plan to get an additional primary dose 28 days after receiving their second shot.
- Pfizer – Immunocompromised people 12 years and older who completed their Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine primary series should also plan to get an additional primary dose 28 days after receiving their second shot.
In addition first and second boosters are now authorized and recommended for people ages 12 and older who are immunocompromised. Immunocompromised Individuals 12-17 years are eligible for another dose of Pfizer. Individuals 18 and older may receive the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccine.
Click here to view complete CDC information including a list of immunocompromised conditions that are included in the recommendation.
Upload your vaccination record to the SMU Health Portal
If you received a COVID-19 vaccine off-campus, please upload a record of your vaccination to the secure SMU Health Portal. If you were vaccinated on campus, no further action is required. Your vaccination record is available 24/7 on the health portal.
After Hours Care
The Health Center provides after hours and weekend services. Click here for more information.